This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Historic motorsport is motorsport with vehicles limited to a particular era. Only safety precautions are modernized in these hobbyist races. A historical event can be of various types of motorsport disciplines, from road racing to rallying.
Some of the most famous events are the Goodwood Festival of Speed and Goodwood Revival in Britain and Monterey Historic in the United States. Championships range from "grass root" Austin Seven racing to the FIA Thoroughbred Grand Prix Championship for classic Formula One chassis. In Canada, the Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada annually hosts the VARAC Vintage Grand Prix at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (formerly known as Mosport.)
While there are several professional teams and drivers in historical racing, this branch of motorsport tends to be contested by wealthy car owners and is thus more amateur and laid back in its approach. One advantage of historical motorsport is that once a series for a particular category is introduced, it helps to increase the value of its competing cars, sometimes approaching the million dollar mark, therefore as a result, many of these are carefully driven by its owners and are occasionally used to bring in spectators.
Notable historic motorsport events
The list are for events that has run at least three years and are internationally recognised events.
- Classic Endurance Racing
- Historic Formula One Championship
- Orwell SuperSports Cup
- Historic Ferrari Challenge (formerly Historic Ferrari Maserati Challenge)
- GLPpro.de Historic Regularity Racing on Race Tracks
- Classic Endurance Racing (CER)
- Masters Historic Racing
- Motor Racing Legends (MRL)
- Historic Grand Prix Cars Association (HGPCA)
- Group C Racing Series (formerly Group C GTP Racing)
- Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR)
- Vintage Auto Racing Association (VARA)
- Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA)
- Historic Motor Sports Association (HMSA)