Virginia's 16th Senate district
State Senate District
|Current senator||Rosalyn Dance (D–Petersburg)|
Virginia's 16th Senate district is one of 40 districts in the Senate of Virginia. It has been represented by Democratic Senator Rosalyn Dance since 2014; Dance was defeated by former Delegate Joe Morrissey in the 2019 primary elections, but her term will not end until 2020.
District 16 is a majority-black district in the Greater Richmond Region, including all of the cities of Hopewell and Petersburg and parts of Chesterfield County, Dinwiddie County, Prince George County, and the City of Richmond.
Recent election results
|Democratic||Rosalyn Dance (incumbent)||6,665||43.6|
|Democratic||Rosalyn Dance (incumbent)||4,967||62.0|
|Democratic||Joseph E. Preston||3,039||37.9|
|Democratic||Rosalyn Dance (incumbent)||17,331||72.7|
|Democratic||Henry L. Marsh (incumbent)||16,711||69.0|
Federal and statewide results in District 16
All election results below took place prior to 2011 redistricting, and thus were under different district lines.
|Democratic||Henry L. Marsh (incumbent)||11,186||66.6|
|Democratic||Henry L. Marsh (incumbent)||13,901||99.0|
|Democratic||Henry L. Marsh (incumbent)||12,806||98.3|
|Democratic||Henry L. Marsh (incumbent)||19,723||99.5|
- "State Senate District 16, VA". Census Reporter. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Registrant Counts by District Type" (PDF). Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Elections. June 2019.
- "District 16 Description". Rosalyn R. Dance. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- David Jarman. "How do counties, House districts, and legislative districts all overlap?". Daily Kos. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "Virginia State Senate District 16". Ballotpedia. Retrieved 12 November 2019.
- "Elections Database". Virginia Board of Elections. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Daily Kos Elections Statewide Results by LD". Daily Kos. Retrieved 15 August 2019.