|Developer(s)||Intel Developer Products|
|Stable release||XE 2016 / August 25, 2015|
|Operating system||Windows and Linux|
Intel VTune Amplifier is a commercial application for software performance analysis for 32 and 64-bit x86 based machines, and has both GUI and command line interfaces. It is available for both Linux and Microsoft Windows operating systems. Although basic features work on both Intel and AMD hardware, advanced hardware-based sampling requires an Intel-manufactured CPU.
It is available as part of Intel Parallel Studio or as a stand-alone product.
VTune Amplifier assists in various kinds of code profiling including stack sampling, thread profiling and hardware event sampling. The profiler result consists of details such as time spent in each sub routine which can be drilled down to the instruction level. The time taken by the instructions are indicative of any stalls in the pipeline during instruction execution. The tool can be also used to analyze thread performance. The new GUI can filter data based on a selection in the timeline.
- Software sampling
- Works on x86 compatible processors and gives both the locations where time is spent and the call stack used.
- JIT profiling support
- Profiles dynamically generated code.
- Locks and waits analysis
- Finds long synchronization waits that occur when cores are underutilized.
- Threading timeline
- Shows thread relationships to identify load balancing and synchronization issues. It can also be used to select a region of time and filter the results. This can remove the clutter of data gathered during uninteresting times like application start-up.
- Source view
- Sampling results are displayed line by line on the source / assembly code.
- Hardware event sampling
- This uses the on chip performance monitoring unit and requires an Intel processor. It can find specific tuning opportunities like cache misses and branch mispredictions.
- Performance Tuning Utility (PTU)
- PTU Was a separate download that gave VTune Amplifer XE users access to experimental tuning technology. This includes things like Data Access Analysis that identifies memory hotspots and relates them to code hotspots. PTU now is fully integrated into VTune Amplifer XE.
- Intel Parallel Studio XE
- Intel Parallel Advisor
- Intel Parallel Inspector
- Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library (DAAL)
- Intel Integrated Performance Primitives (IPP)
- Intel Math Kernel Library (MKL)
- Intel Threading Building Blocks (TBB)
- Intel Developer Zone (Intel DZ; support and discussion)
- List of performance analysis tools
- AMD CodeAnalyst
- Intel Releases Thread Tools, Library For Multicore CPUs CRN test center article on VTune Performance Analyzer 9.0, Thread Profiler 3.1 and Thread Checker 3.1.
- Product Review: Intel’s VTune 6 Performance Analyzer Gamasutra web site
- Performance Analysis Tools: A Look at the Intel VTune Performance Analyzer Real World Technologies
- Profiling Runtime Generated and Interpreted Code using the VTune Performance Analyzer
- IEEE Explore
- New Intel VTune Performance Analyzer Helps Optimize Web Services Applications
- Lock and Lock-Free Code Compared, Optimized With Intel Thread Profiler Visual Computing
- Performance Tuning During Game Development Using the Intel® VTune™ Performance Analyzer
- Official website
- Intel Parallel Studio (product webpage) includes Intel VTune Amplifier performance profiler.
- Intel Performance Tuning Utility (PTU) Experimental tuning technology for VTune analyzer users (product webpage)