|Broadcast area||Frederick, Maryland
Frederick County, Maryland
|Slogan||"Today's Best Music"|
|First air date||1990|
|Format||Contemporary Hit Radio|
|Owner||Manning Broadcasting, Inc.|
|Sister stations||WWEG, WARK|
WAFY (103.1 FM; "Key 103") is a radio station located in Frederick, Maryland, in the United States. The station currently airs a Hot Adult Contemporary format and is owned by Manning Broadcasting, Inc.
The station was created in 1990 by Barbara Marmet, with the intention of having a community radio station for Frederick. Community has always been a main focus for the station. Marmet sold WAFY to Nassau Broadcasting Partners in 2005. After Nassau went into chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, the station, along with WARK and WWEG in Hagerstown, were purchased by Manning Broadcasting, Inc. in May 2012, with the sale being completed on November 1, 2012 at a price of $6.4 million.
On September 16, 2010 at 9am, Key 103 dropped the "Frederick's Continuous Soft Rock" moniker and began a 20th anniversary retrospective show looking back at the 20 years of the station's personalities, music, and activities. This retrospective ended at 12 noon with a launch into its current Hot AC format, now positioning as "Key 103, Today's Best Music."
The Station continues to maintain a Frederick community focus.
- Key 103's studios are located in a renovated barn on Industry Lane in Frederick. The barn is visible from Interstate 270 just south of its northern terminus, on the northbound side. The silo of the barn has Key 103.1 lettering on it.
- The name "Key" comes from Frederick's affinity for hometown hero Francis Scott Key.
- The call letters WAFY were randomly assigned by the FCC and have no significance.
- Smith, Kevin M. (November 5, 2004). "WAFY sold to N.J. broadcast company". The Gazette. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- Aines, Don (May 9, 2012). "Two area radio stations return to local owners". The Herald-Mail. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- "EMF Buys Dallas-Fort Worth FM From Liberman". All Access. November 5, 2012. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- Key 103 website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WAFY
- Radio-Locator information on WAFY
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WAFY