Watch the Duck
WATCH THE DUCK
|Origin||Montgomery, Alabama, United States|
|Associated acts||T.I., Pharrell Williams|
Eddie Smith III
Oscar White III (production partner)
Watch the Duck (WTD, stylized as WATCH THE DUCK), is an American musical duo from Montgomery, Alabama, United States. They are part of the alternative R&B movement. In 2012, the group dominated the freshman music poll on mtvU and their song "Poppin’ Off" was added to their regular rotation. The group is currently signed to i am OTHER (Pharrell Williams' record label) and Interscope Records music label. Since 2015, the publishing interest of Watch the Duck’s catalog has been represented by Reservoir Media Management. For their first 2018 single, the producer-vocalist pair released a song titled "There You Are". The sound of the new single is described as "a more intimate and personal sound starring Jesse's R&B vocal" and a "feel-good record that encourages listeners to stay in the moment, and move with whatever feelings come from being in the present."
WATCH THE DUCK was formed by friends Eddie Smith III, Jesse Rankins, and former member Jonathan Wells. All three were DJs, producers, and musicians originally from Montgomery, Alabama but moved to Atlanta, Georgia in 2010. The name of the group comes from a phrase that they use to describe society's obsession with keeping up appearances. Smith has been quoted as saying, "Everyone sees a duck floating smoothly on top of the water, but one rarely pays attention to how hard it kicks underneath to get where it's going."
- Current members
- Jesse Rankins – Lead vocalist (2012–present)
- Eddie Smith III – DJ and percussion (2012–present)
- Oscar White III – Guitarist (2015–present)
- Past members
- Jonathan Wells – Keyboards (2012–2015)
|The Trojan Horse EP||
|Delayed Adulthood (debut album)||
|"Poppin' Off"||2012||Anatidaephobia EP|
|"Making Luv to the Beat"
(featuring T.I. and DJ E-Feezy)
|2015||The Trojan Horse EP|
|"There You Are"||2018||Delayed Adulthood (forthcoming debut album)|
|"100"||2014||Iggy Azalea||The New Classic|
|"By Any Means (God Damnt)"||T.I., Shad da God, Spodde||G.D.O.D. II|
|"G Shit"||T.I., Jeezy||Paperwork|
|"Light 'Em Up (RIP Doe B)"||T.I., Pharrell|
|"Tell A Chic"||2013||Tiffany Evans||143 (EP)|
|"Big Ol Drip"||2018||T.I.||Dime Trap|
- Gibson, Yolanda (2 October 2012). "Underground Hype: Watch The Duck". The Examiner.
- "Watch The Duck Dominate This Week's Freshman". mtvU. 26 October 2012. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Premiere: Watch The Duck's 'There You Are' Video Is The Jazz, Soul, R&B Uplifting 2018 Needed". Bet.com. 2018-02-09. Retrieved 2020-04-15.
- Legrand, Emmanuel (2015-12-10). "Reservoir acquires Allan Felder's catalogue | News". Music Week. Retrieved 2020-04-15.
- Herr, Lindsay (20 November 2012). "Watch The Duck – Poppin Off". EarMilk. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Watch The Duck". Red Zone Entertainment. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Hustle Gang – G.D.O.D. II // Free Mixtape". DatPiff. Idle Media Inc. 2014-09-19. Retrieved 2014-09-21.
|This article on a United States R&B/soul music band, group, or collective is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|