30 November 1954
Tweed Heads, New South Wales
|Major achievements||1978 World Surfing Champion|
Wayne "Rabbit" Bartholomew AM (born; 30 November, 1954) is an Australian surfer who won the World Surfing Championship in 1978, 1999 (ASP world masters) and 2003 (ASP world grand master). Bartholomew was also the former President of the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) from 1999-2009 and Chief Executive Officer, 1999-2003.
The award-winning documentary Bustin' Down the Door depicts Rabbit's early days in Coolangatta, Queensland and his roller coaster ride to the top, overcoming massive obstacles along the way in his bid to bring credibility to the sport and draws upon his earlier biography, Bustin' Down the Door first published in 1996 and reprinted 2002
Awards and honours
- Member (AM) in the General Division of the Order of Australia, 2009
- Inducted into Australian Walk of Fame, 2006
- Inducted into USA Hall of Fame, 2001
- Inducted into Sport Australia Hall of Fame, 1999
- Inducted into Australian Surfing Hall of Fame, 1987
- Ambassador, International Year of the Ocean, United Nations, 1998.
- 3 time Gold Coast Sportsman of the Year -
- ASP "services to the Sport Award"
- Movie of the Year, USA Surfer Poll Awards, 2008; for Bustin' Down the Door.
- Documentary of the Year, USA Surfer Poll Awards, 2008; for Bustin’ Down the Door.
- Wayne Bartholomew profile at Surfline.com
- Wayne 'Rabbit' Bartholomew biography at WorldChampionshipSurfing.com
- surfing history at Back to Burleigh
- Bustin' Down the Door at IMDB
- Speaker Profile of Wayne Bartholomew AM at The Celebrity Speakers Bureau
- Wayne Bartholomew; Tim Baker (2002). Bustin' Down the Door (2nd ed.). Australia: HarperSports. ISBN 0732274796.
- "Mr Wayne Bartholomew AM". Queensland Sport Hall of Fame. qsport.org.au. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Wayne 'Rabbit' Bartholomew AM". Sport Australia Hall of Fame. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
| International Professional Surfers World Champion (men's)
|This article about an Australian surfer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|