|Wayne Godfrey Sanstead|
|18th North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction|
1985 – January 1, 2013
|31st Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota|
|Governor||Arthur A. Link|
|Preceded by||Richard F. Larsen|
|Succeeded by||Ernest Sands|
|Member of the North Dakota Senate|
1971 – 1973
|Member of the North Dakota House of Representatives|
1965 – 1970
April 16, 1935 |
Hot Springs, Arkansas
|Spouse(s)||Mary Jane Bober|
|Alma mater||St. Olaf College, B.A., 1957 Northfield, Minnesota; Northwestern University, M.A. in Speech in 1967; University of North Dakota, Doctorate in secondary education.|
Wayne Godfrey Sanstead (born April 16, 1935) Served as the North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction from 1985 to January 1, 2013, and from 1972 to 1981 as the Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota.
Sanstead was born in Hot Springs, Arkansas on April 16, 1935 to Godfrey A. and Clara (Buen) Sanstead. Sanstead married Mary Jane Bober on June 16, 1957. They have two children, Timothy Wayne & Jonathan Paul.
In 1957 Sanstead received his B.A. from St. Olaf College, and in 1967 his Masers of Arts in Speech from Northwestern University. Stanstead earn his doctorate in secondary education from the University of North Dakota.
Sanstead was the longest serving chief state school officer in the United States. Previously, Sanstead served eight years in the North Dakota House of Representatives (1965–1970), two years in the N.D. Senate (1971–1973), and as the 31st Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota serving under Governor Arthur A. Link (1973–1981).
- Marquis Who's Who (1980), Who's Who in the Midwest, 1980-1981, Chicago, Illinois: Marquis Who's Who, LLC, p. 606
- Wetzel, Dale (February 17, 2012), N. D. School Superintendent Wayne Sanstead retiring, Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret News
- Northwestern University (June 17, 1967), NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY One Hundred and Ninth Annual COMMENCEMENT, Evanston, Illinois: Northwestern University, p. 62
- Montgomery (Ala.). Junior Chamber of Commerce (1965). Outstanding Young Men of America. Junior Chamber of Commerce. ISSN 0474-9340. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- Paul Anthony Theis, Edmund Lee Henshaw, ed. (1991), Who's Who in American Politics, Volume 2, New Providence, New Jersey: R. R. Bowker, p. 1271
- Junior Chamber of Commerce (1965), Outstanding Young Men of America, Montgomery Alabama: Junior Chamber of Commerce, p. 458
- "Kirsten Baesler | North Dakota Department of Public Instruction biography". dpi.state.nd.us. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
- Sanstead biography - North Dakota Department of Public Instruction website
Richard F. Larsen
|Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota
|North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction
|This article about a North Dakota politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|