Boone was ordained into ministry in 1973 where began his ministry with Word of Faith seminars, and established churches in Ettrick and Richmond, Virginia, aimed at student athletes, historically black colleges and universities and other college campuses.
In 1983 he incorporated the Living Word Evangelistic Association, and later changed the name to Wellington Boone Ministries. His first church is Manna Christian Fellowship of Richmond, Virginia which was incorporated in 1985.
Boone has been a host and guest on the Christian television networks CBN and TBN, and has been a platform speaker for Promise Keepers, Focus on the Family, American Association of Christian Counselors and the Family Research Council. He has also been a member of the board of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability, and currently is on the Board of Regents at Regent University.
He founded the Network of Politically Active Christians (N.P.A.C.) with headquarters in Washington, DC, Kingmaker Women, The Fellowship of International Churches, Goshen International which has started learning centers in South Africa for Black African and multiracial children, and Global Outreach Campus Ministries.
He is the founder and Senior Pastor of The Father’s House Church in Atlanta, Georgia and international Senior Prelate of the Fellowship of International Churches. The Fellowship of International Churches was started in 1994 when the founding pastors conferred on Pastor Boone the title of Bishop.
Boone is the author of the Christian books: "Your Wife Is Not Your Momma", "Breaking Through", "My Journey With God" and "The Low Road to New Heights".
Boone has said that black Americans are suffering from a so-called "self-genocide."  He has also stated that "I want to boldly affirm Uncle Tom. The black community must stop criticizing Uncle Tom. He is a role model." Pastor Boone said of African-American slavery in the United States, "I believe that slavery, and the understanding of it when you see it God's way, was redemptive."
- Black Genocide
- Woman! You Are A Kingmaker!
- Your Wife Is Not Your Momma: How You Can Have Heaven in Your Home (ISBN 0-385-49417-3)
- Breaking Through
- My Journey With God
- The Low Road to New Heights
-  Archived June 17, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- The Fellowship Of International Churches, Wellington Boone Ministries
-  Archived September 14, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Who Are Justice Sunday's Ministers of Minstrelsy?". Huffington Post.
-  Archived December 3, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Preachers: Mini-Profiles".
-  Archived September 29, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Wellington Boone: Refuting Gay Marriage".
- "'Values Voter Summit' Features Attack on 'Faggots,' Claim That Gay Rights Movement Inspired 'From The Pit Of Hell Itself'". ThinkProgress.
- "Evangelical Leaders Join Global Warming Initiative". The New York Times. 8 February 2006. Retrieved 20 June 2016.