Wendy Day (born 1962) is a mentor and consultant for hip-hop artists. In about 1992, she founded the not-for-profit organization Rap Coalition, helping artists navigate the industry more advantageously. She also founded the consulting firm PowerMoves, advising artists and labels on independent options.
In one account, Rap Coalition was founded in 1992 once Day sold her condo, investments, and car to fund the not-for-profit organization. In any case, it would help hip-hop artists learn of exploitative practices, connect with artists sharing interests, and, through a support group, navigate the industry. Its roster of celebrity advisors and mentors included Tupac Shakur as well as Chuck D of Public Enemy.
Throughout the 1990s, Day brokered landmark deals: Master P and No Limit Records’ 85/15 distribution deal with Priority Records, Twista’s 50/50 venture with Atlantic Records, and Cash Money Records’ $30 million deal with Universal Music Group.
Day organized the 1997 Rap Olympics, whereby Eminem, invited by Day via his demo tape Infinite to perform, gained an Interscope Records deal. Day also assisted Lil Wayne, B.G., Juvenile, the Hot Boys, C-Murder, Fiend, Do or Die, Boosie, Webbie, David Banner, Ras Kass, Trouble, and Young Buck, among others. Altogether, Day's clients have sold over $1 billion of sound recordings.
Day also operates the music-consulting company PowerMoves, which advises artists and independent record labels on options without sponsorship by a major record label. PowerMoves also helps artists gain direct investors apart from record labels.
- "Wendy Day Dot Com". wendyday.com. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- Jones, Rhian (15 May 2018). "'Independent Artists Can Do Everything That Major Labels Can.'". Music Business Worldwide. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- Couch, Christina. "Wendy Day: Hip-hop Mentor". Get In Media. Retrieved 2019-10-03.
- "Eminem's freestyles at the '97 Rap Olympics - Everything2.com". everything2.com. Retrieved 2019-10-03.
- Nguyen, Hau (10 May 2016). "Power Moves: Interview With Rap Coalition Founder Wendy Day". Stop the Breaks. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- "Amazon.com - How to Get a Record Deal (2016 Version): The Knowledge to Succeed". Amazon. 13 March 2016. Retrieved 3 October 2019.