Westhill High School (Connecticut)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Westhill High School|
|Teaching staff||147.60 (FTE)|
|Color(s)||Purple and Gold|
Westhill High School is a high school located in Stamford, Connecticut, United States. It is located on Roxbury Road, in the northern section of Stamford. Westhill is found off of Long Ridge Road, on Roxbury Road. Westhill is one of two large public high schools in Stamford, CT, the other being Stamford High School. The two high schools are notable sports rivals. A number of public middle schools pool into Westhill High School. Westhill is a diverse high school, representing more than thirty-five distinct nationalities amongst its student body.
Westhill offers general, college preparatory, honors, and Advanced Placement (AP) classes in the social sciences, the natural sciences, literature, language, and history. Westhill offers language classes including Latin, Spanish, French, and Italian. The ECE program allows Westhill students to gain credit from the University of Connecticut (UCONN), so that if students choose to attend UCONN (or UCONN Stamford) they glean the course credits that they took in high school. The agriscience program also allows students to take advanced courses that are relevant to the field.
Extracurricular activities & clubs
Westhill High School is home to the Northstar Playmakers, The Mock Trial & Debate Team, over twenty distinct sports teams, and a number of community-service oriented organizations. Westhill participates in the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference.
In the 2003-2004 academic year, the school newspaper, The Westword launched an online edition. The Westword covers topics ranging from sports, science news, music, opinion editorials, and school news. The Westword boasts dozens of staff and delegations, ranging from visual, graphic, editorial, creative, media, and business managers.
- Dave Dresden, EDM DJ and record producer; one half of Gabriel & Dresden
- Pamela Karlan, civil rights lawyer; professor at Stanford University
- Dannel Malloy, governor of Connecticut
- Bruce Shapiro, journalist; Director of the Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma, Columbia University
- Barry Sternlicht, CEO of Starwood Capital Group; philanthropist
- David Streitfeld, reporter for The New York Times
- Mark Parker, CEO of Nike
- "Westhill High School". School Directory Information. National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- Renner, Tom (2 July 2015). "Grad From Stamford's Westhill High In Line To Become Nike Chairman". Stamford Daily Voice. Retrieved 21 April 2017.