When You Kiss Me
|"When You Kiss Me"|
|Single by Shania Twain|
|from the album Up!|
|Released||October 6, 2003 (Airplay)
November 10, 2003 (EU)
November 17, 2003 (UK)
January 26, 2004 (Australia)
|Format||Maxi single, 5" CD single, 3.5" CD single, DVD single|
|Genre||Country pop, adult contemporary, world|
|Songwriter(s)||Robert John "Mutt" Lange,
|Producer(s)||Robert John "Mutt" Lange|
|Shania Twain singles chronology|
"When You Kiss Me" is a song by Canadian singer Shania Twain. It was the fifth international single released from her 2002 album Up!. The song was written by Mutt Lange and Shania Twain. Shania has admitted on several occasions that "When You Kiss Me" is her favorite ballad off Up!; in spite of that, it was excluded from Twain's Greatest Hits album. The song had mild success in Europe and Australia; however, it was the only non-released track to chart on the Billboard Country Chart in the US. A DVD release of "When You Kiss Me" marked Shania's first and only DVD single. The song was also released as the last single to Canadian country radio.
"When You Kiss Me" was received positively by critics. About.com compared it to "You're Still the One" and complimented the "stupendous mandolin and steel guitar textures overlaid by a wonderful chorus lyric".
The music video for "When You Kiss Me" was shot in Takapuna, New Zealand by director Paul Boyd. It was shot around the same time as "Forever and for Always" in March 2003. It was originally released in Europe on October 17, 2003 and then in North America during the summer of 2004, to replace the video for "It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing". Two versions of the video exist, one which is called the 'One-Take Version' is solely of Twain on a beach at night, with the camera only taking "one take". The main version is of Shania being filmed in a house, on a boat and on the beach by a young male. Both videos were filmed in black and white. The 'One-Take Version' is available on select CD singles and the DVD single.
In the UK, "When You Kiss Me" was released as a double A-side single with "Up!". On November 29, 2003 it debuted at it is peak position at number 21, making it her lowest peaking single at the time. It only spent 5 weeks on the chart. While it underperformed in the UK, it managed to hit number four in Portugal and make the top 40 in Germany and Austria. The lower than usual peaks can be attributed to Twain's health, as she had to cancel several promotional performances since at the time she was sick. When Up! was released in 2002, "When You Kiss Me" gained enough album play to reach number 60 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart.
These are the formats for the major releases.
Germany & Australia CD Maxi
Germany 3" CD Single
Europe CD Single
UK CD Single - "When You Kiss Me / Up!"
UK CD Single - 'Up! / When You Kiss Me"
UK DVD Single - "When You Kiss Me / Up!"
- Red Album Version (4:08)
- Green Album Version (4:07)
- Blue Album Version (3:56)
- Metro Remix Radio Edit (3:54)
- Metro Remix Extended Mix (6:55)
- Live From Chicago (4:16)
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||32|
|Europe (European Hot 100 Singles)||67|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||30|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||20|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||47|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||21|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||60|
- "CD Review: Up - Shania Twain - By Matt Bjorke". Countrymusic.about.com. 2013-07-19. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- "ChartArchive - The Chart Archive". Chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
-  Archived June 21, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Australian-charts.com – Shania Twain – When You Kiss Me". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Austriancharts.at – Shania Twain – When You Kiss Me" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Hits of the World" (PDF). Billboard. December 6, 2003. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Shania Twain – When You Kiss Me". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Chart Track: Week 47, 2003". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Hits of the World" (PDF). Billboard. March 13, 2004. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Archive Chart: 2003-11-23". Scottish Singles Top 40. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Swisscharts.com – Shania Twain – When You Kiss Me". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Shania Twain: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Shania Twain – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Shania Twain. Retrieved May 2, 2017.