White Flint station
|Washington Metro rapid transit station|
|Location||5500 Marinelli Road
North Bethesda, MD 20852
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections|| Ride On: 5, 26, 38, 42, 46, 81
|Structure type||underground (open-cut)|
|Bicycle facilities||32 racks, 20 lockers|
|Opened||December 15, 1984|
|Passengers (2015)||3,855 daily  0.87%|
White Flint is an island platformed Washington Metro station in North Bethesda, Maryland, United States. The station was opened on December 15, 1984, and is operated by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). Providing service for the Red Line, the station serves residential and commercial areas of North Bethesda and Rockville and is located near the former White Flint Mall.
White Flint station is planned to be the center of a large transport-oriented development. The development will include new zoning to allow taller buildings to be built closer to the station along with a new street grid to link what are now currently disjointed areas.
The station opened on December 15, 1984. Its opening coincided with the completion of 7 miles (11 km) of rail northwest of the then named Grosvenor station and the opening of the Rockville, Shady Grove, and Twinbrook stations. White Flint was originally known as Nicholson Lane in planning documents, but the station was renamed after the White Flint Mall before it opened. A pylon at Farragut North still bears the original name of the station; extensions were originally printed on pylons throughout the system and covered up until they opened.
|Westbound||← Red Line toward Shady Grove (Twinbrook)|
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Eastbound||→ Red Line toward Glenmont (Grosvenor–Strathmore) →|
|M||Mezzanine||One-way faregates, ticket machines, station agent|
|G||Street Level||Exit/ Entrance|
Notable places nearby
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Kennedy Shriver Aquatic Center
- Westfield Montgomery Mall is accessible via Ride On 26 or 42 bus.
- "Metrorail Average Weekday Passenger Boardings" (PDF). WMATA. Retrieved 2016-06-07.
- White Flint sector plan Montgomery Planning Retrieved 2009-11-28
- Zibart, Eve (December 16, 1984), "A rainbow coalition flocks to Red Line; 4 stops open amid hoopla", The Washington Post, p. A1
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (July 2009). "Sequence of Metrorail openings" (PDF). Retrieved July 30, 2010.
- Johnson, Janis (September 28, 1978). "Metro in Montgomery: Plans Are Unveiled for Preserving Old Neighborhoods and Creating New Development Near Metro". The Washington Post. p. MD1.
- Zoological Park metro station? DCist Retrieved 2009-11-28
- WMATA: White Flint Station
- StationMasters Online: White Flint Station
- The Schumin Web Transit Center: White Flint Station
- Marinelli Road entrance from Google Maps Street View
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to White Flint (WMATA station).|