Whitingham Anitiques and Collectibles
|• Total||39.3 sq mi (101.8 km2)|
|• Land||37.1 sq mi (96.0 km2)|
|• Water||2.2 sq mi (5.8 km2)|
|Elevation||1,916 ft (584 m)|
|• Density||34.53/sq mi (13.33/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1462261|
Whitingham is a town in Windham County, Vermont, United States. The town was named for Nathan Whiting, a landholder. The population was 1,357 at the 2010 census. Whitingham is the birthplace of Brigham Young, the second president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and founder of Salt Lake City, Utah. Its village center is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Whitingham Village Historic District.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 39.3 square miles (101.8 km2) of which 37.1 square miles (96.0 km2) is land and 2.2 square miles (5.8 km2) (5.70%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
At the 2010 census, there were 1,357 people in the town. The population density was 34.53 per square mile (13.33/km2). There were 918 housing units at an average density of 25.1 per square mile (8.4/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 99.23% White, 0.08% African American, 0.31% Native American, and 0.39% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.69% of the population.
There were 515 households of which 33.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.2% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.8% were non-families. 22.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 2.94.
25.3% of the population were under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 28.2% from 25 to 44, 27.3% from 45 to 64, and 12.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.4 males.
The median household income was $37,434, and the median family income was $45,500. Males had a median income of $30,590 versus $25,188 for females. The per capita income for the town was $21,904. About 5.9% of families and 7.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.5% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Harrie B. Chase, judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Paul A. Chase, Associate Justice of the Vermont Supreme Court
- Isaac Goodnow, founder of Manhattan, Kansas and Kansas State University
- Horace B. Smith, former US Congressman
- Brigham Young, early leader of the Latter Day Saints
This climatic region is typified by large seasonal temperature differences, with warm to hot (and often humid) summers and cold (sometimes severely cold) winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Whitingham has a humid continental climate, abbreviated "Dfb" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile for Whitingham, Vermont". ePodunk. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- Ballou, H. B. (Whitingham, VT Town Clerk) (November 13, 1895). "Vermont Vital Records, 1720-1908, Birth Entry for Paul Addison Chase". Ancestry.com. Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, LLC. Retrieved January 15, 2018. (Subscription required (. ))
- Climate Summary for Whitingham, Vermont