Why Don't You & I
|"Why Don't You & I"|
|Single by Santana featuring Alex Band|
|from the album Shaman|
|Released||July 8, 2003|
|Genre||Latin rock, post-grunge|
|Santana singles chronology|
|Alex Band singles chronology|
"Why Don't You & I" is a 2003 top ten hit by Santana. The song was written by Chad Kroeger and recorded for Carlos Santana's 2002 album Shaman, on the Arista record label. The song was re-recorded in 2003 with vocals by Alex Band of The Calling, as the third single in the United States. It was released as the second single in Canada in the winter of 2003. The Chad Kroeger version was also released alongside the Alex Band version in the United States.
Despite being re-recorded for single release, the original version is the one that was played on Australian radio stations. The original version also occasionally plays on American radio stations.
Re-recording & single release
When Arista wanted to release the single in the summer of 2003, Roadrunner Records, the record label for Nickelback, refused permission citing concerns that Kroeger appearing on a "high-profile single" would compromise the excitement over Nickelback's fall 2003 release The Long Road and hurt the Nickelback album sales. Kroeger recommended Band, another BMG artist, to re-record the song's vocals for single release. The Alex Band version omits the guitar instrumental bridge, and was also included on Ultimate Santana.
Produced and arranged by Lester Mendez, the song reached #8 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart on October 25, 2003. "Why Don't You & I" is Santana's last single to date to hit the Top 10 in the United States.
|1.||"Why Don't You & I" (radio edit)||4:05|
|2.||"Truth Don Die"||4:33|
|4.||"Why Don't You & I" (video)|
- Carlos Santana: lead guitar, keyboards
- Chad Kroeger: lead vocals
- Alex Band: lead vocals (Re-recorded version)
- Chester Thompson: keyboards, (Hammond B3)
- Karl Perazzo: percussion
- Jesus "Chuchi" Jorge: trumpet, trombone
- Ed Calle: Saxophone
- Lester Mendez: Keyboards; horn arrangement
- Tim Pierce: additional guitars
- R. J.: additional guitars
- Lee Sklar: Chorus bass
|Germany (Official German Charts)||76|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||21|
|Romania (Romanian Top 100)||89|
|US Billboard Hot 100||8|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||16|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||1|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||3|
- Shaman @ Santana.com
- "NICKELBACK's Record Company Explains CHAD KROEGER Ban On SANTANA Single" - July 2, 2003 @ RoadrunnerRecords.com
- "Nickelback's Kroeger Not Allowed on Santana Single" @ foundrymusic.com
- "Carlos Santana Says Label Politics Forced Chad Kroeger/Alex Band Change On New Single" @ Music.Yahoo!
- "Santana - Why Don't You & I - Amazon.com Music". Amazon Music. Amazon.com. Retrieved March 14, 2017.
- "Why Don't You & I" @ Santana.com
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Santana feat. Alex Band of the Calling – Why Don't You & I". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Charts.org.nz – Santana feat. Alex Band of the Calling – Why Don't You & I". Top 40 Singles.
- Romanian Top 100: Editia 37, saptamina 29.09-05-10, 2003
- "Santana – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Santana. Retrieved March 14, 2017.
- "Santana – Chart history" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Santana. Retrieved March 14, 2017.
- "Santana – Chart history" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Santana. Retrieved March 14, 2017.
- "Santana – Chart history" Billboard Pop Songs for Santana. Retrieved March 14, 2017.