|উইকিমিডিয়া বাংলাদেশ ফাউন্ডেশন|
Bangladesh map on globe
|Formation||3 October 2011|
|Founded at||Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|Headquarters||Shelteck Niribili, 210/2 (1st Floor), New Elephant Road, Katabon|
|Methods||Bengali Wikipedia, Bengali Wiktionary, Bengali Wikiquote, Bengali Wikibooks, Bengali Wikisource|
|Ali Haidar Khan|
|50+ (as of April 2017[update])|
|Mission||To help people and organisations create and preserve open knowledge, and to help provide easy access for all.|
Wikimedia Bangladesh Foundation (aka Wikimedia Bangladesh or WikimediaBD) is a registered charity established to support volunteers in Bangladesh who work on Wikimedia projects such as Wikipedia. It is a Wikimedia chapter approved by the Wikimedia Foundation which owns and hosts those projects.
The chapter has several collaborations with educational and other institutions and has organized events for the volunteers aimed at adding content to Foundation projects.
It has a temporary office in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
It was approved by Wikimedia Board of trustees at October 3, 2011 and was the 39th local chapter to be approved by the Wikimedia Foundation board. After two and half years letter, it was registered at Joint Stock Companies & Firms – Bangladesh on June 9, 2014 under the Societies Registration Act of Bangladesh and its official name is Wikimedia Bangladesh Foundation.
Projects and initiatives
Wikimedia Bangladesh projects
|Name: Bengali Wikipedia
Description: online encyclopedia
|Name: Bengali Wiktionary
Description: online dictionary and thesaurus
|Name: Bengali Wikisource
Description: digital library
|Name: Bengali Wikibooks
Description: collection of textbooks
Current native projects
|Bengali language (
|Bishnupriya Manipuri (
|Bishnupriya Manipuri Wikipedia||Wikipedia||Bishnupriya Manipuri||উইকিপিডিয়া|
- Ali Haidar Khan (President)
- Nahid Sultan (Secretary)
- Tanweer Morshed (Treasurer)
- Munir Hasan
- Shabab Mustafa
- Tanvir Rahman
- Nurunnaby Chowdhury
- Moheen Reeyad
- Masum Al Hasan
Wikimedia Bangladesh has organized or supported several volunteer efforts to contribute to Foundation projects. In 2012 it organized a Bangla Wikipedia Unconference is the first ever big-level, conference like outreach event in Chittagong, Bangladesh. This open event was attended by around 300 participants and a good number of schools, colleges, and universities of Chittagong. The event was named after Bangla Wikipedia to promote the biggest Bengali language Wikimedia project, Bengali Wikipedia.
On 13th November 2013, Wikipedia Zero was officially launched in Bangladesh. Carolynne Schloeder, Director of Mobile Programs of Wikimedia Foundation joined press conference. Also, representatives from top three mobile operators of Bangladesh - Grameenphone, Banglalink and Robi were present at the press conference along with Wikimedia Bangladesh board members.
One such effort was the 10th anniversary celebration of Bengali Wikipedia in 2015. Bengali Wikipedia had completed ten years on January 27 in 2014. To celebrate this historic milestone a gala evening was held at Radisson Blu Dhaka Water Garden on 26 February, 2015, which event was organized by Wikimedia Bangladesh and sponsored by Telenor. Jimmy Wales, founder of the Wikimedia Foundation presented as a chief guest of the program. This event was attended by around 300 invited participants including Wikimedians and other respected guests from different universities as well as from the government. New Wikimedia contributors from seven divisions of Bangladesh also awarded in this event.
In the 2015, there are another celebration as the Bangla Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Conference 2015 was held on 30th May 2015 at Daffodil International University in Dhaka. About 300 Wikipedians from Bangladesh and West Bengal of India attended the conference. State Minister Zunaid Ahmed Palak of ICT Division of the People's Republic of Bangladesh was present at the conference. Eminent writer and journalist Anisul Hoque was present during the award giving ceremony.
Wikimedia UK and Wikimedia Bangladesh collaboration
- Paroutis, Sotirios; Heracleous, Loizos; Angwin, Duncan (February 1, 2013). "Wikimedia chapters". Practicing Strategy: Text and Cases. SAGE. p. 243. ISBN 978-1849207508. Retrieved March 19, 2016.
- Wikimedia Bangladesh: a chapter's five-year journey, Wikipedia Signpost
- "About Wikimedia Bangladesh". wikimedia.org.bd. WikimediaBD. Retrieved December 16, 2015.
- "Interim Executive Committee members of Wikimedia Bangladesh". Wikimedia Bangladesh. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "বাংলাদেশে উইকিপিডিয়া জিরো প্রকল্প চালু". Daily Jugantor. 15 November 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "Wikipedia Zero: A righteous initiative for accessing free knowledge". Thedaily Star. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "বাংলাদেশেও আছে উইকিপিডিয়া জিরো". Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Chowdhury, Nurunnaby (March 6, 2015). "Exploring global knowledge library in Bangla". The Daily Observer. Dhaka. Retrieved August 21, 2016.
- Staff Correspondent (February 26, 2015). "Wikipedia co-founder arrive Dhaka". Prothom Alo. Dhaka. Retrieved August 21, 2016.
- "Wikipedia eyes to make it available to all in Bangladesh". Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha. Dhaka. February 26, 2015. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- "Wikipedia eyes to make it available to all in Bangladesh". New Age. Dhaka. February 27, 2015. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- নিজস্ব প্রতিবেদক (June 2, 2015). "বাংলা উইকিপিডিয়ার দশ বছর পূর্তির অনুষ্ঠান" [Bengali Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Celebration]. Prothom Alo (in Bengali). Dhaka. Retrieved August 21, 2016.
- "10th anniversary of the Bangla Wikipedia celebrated". The Daily Star. Dhaka. June 1, 2015. Retrieved August 21, 2016.
- Jonathan Cardy (15 April 2014). "Wikimedia UK and Wikimedia Bangladesh collaboration". Wikimedia UK. Retrieved December 16, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wikimedia Bangladesh.|