Wikipedia:Wikipedia Takes St. Louis 2012
Wikipedia Takes St. Louis is a photo scavenger hunt conducted as part of Wikipedia Takes America and Wiki Loves Monuments in the US in September 2012. The event will help improve Wikipedia's coverage of the St. Louis area by providing articles with more photographs and content.
Non-Wikipedians welcome. Wikipedia Takes St. Louis is an event for all!
- Meeting Time and Place
- Sept. 15, 12:30pm
- Basilica of St. Louis, King of France (The Old Cathedral)
- After-party: Fitz's American Grill & Bottling Works
- Meet after the balloon race at Fitz's in the Delmar Loop for food and group picture
Meet up at the Old Cathedral before 12:30pm. Metered parking is free on weekends. If you are arriving by MetroLink west of the Mississippi, get off at Stadium; east of the Mississippi, Arch – Laclede's Landing.
Teams will make their way across the city to hit areas of photographic interest (i.e. NRHP listings in downtown St. Louis). Optionally you can stay for the Great Forest Park Balloon Race which begins at 3:30pm on Central Field. By happy coincidence, the balloon race is also holding its own photo contest.
After the balloons launch, rendezvous at Fitz's American Grill in the Delmar Loop around for food and uploading your photos. Take the #97 MetroBus from Grand from Delmar Blvd @ Union Blvd to Delmar Blvd @ Westgate Ave.
What should I bring?
You will need to bring a camera of your choice. Any digital camera will do. Many smartphones have cameras of similar quality to mid-range point-and-shoots. If you don't own a camera, borrow one from a generous friend or rent from borrowlenses.com. Used and refurbished point-and-shoots can also be found on Amazon. Come knowing the basics of your camera; photography experts will be on hand to help.
- Other helpful stuff:
- Bicycle - To cover more ground
- Extra batteries - Your camera battery might not make it the entire day
- Extra SD cards - You might want to loan a few to someone in need.
- Food and water - Don't go on an empty stomach
This meetup is still in the planning phase so feel free to leave suggestions.
- We should be able to knock out a lot of Category:Wikipedia requested photographs in St. Louis, Missouri in one weekend.--Chaser (talk) 17:19, 12 August 2012 (UTC)
- I'll be there just for Fitz's; I'm semi-disabled, and not sure how useful I'd be downton on my mobility scooter. Perhaps Mrs. Khazar, the Little Miss, and I can continue our Laumeier Park photo hunt that week and bring the fruits of our labors. (Finally got "the big red thing" up a few weeks back.) Incidentally, I can get that requested photo of a 141 sign no problem; I drive that way about once a week. -- Khazar2 (talk) 23:47, 3 September 2012 (UTC)
- -Marcus Qwertyus (talk) 06:25, 12 August 2012 (UTC)
- -Chaser (talk) 17:19, 12 August 2012 (UTC)
- -BirgitteSB --BirgitteSB 16:13, 1 September 2012 (UTC)
- -For Fitz's. - Khazar2 (talk) 23:40, 3 September 2012 (UTC)
- -Paul S.
- ---VikÞor | Talk 14:57, 1 September 2012 (UTC)
- -Elonka 13:47, 2 September 2012 (UTC)
- -Steven Fitzpatrick Smith
- - 12:36, 3 September 2012 (UTC)
- Wikipedia:Meetup/St. Louis 5, (June 2012) second annual Wiknic, Forest Park
- Wikipedia:Meetup/St. Louis 4, (January 2012) Wikipedia's 11th anniversary
- Wikipedia:Meetup/St. Louis 3, (October 2011)
- Wikipedia:Meetup/St. Louis 2 (Wiknic), (June 2011)
- Wikipedia:Meetup/St. Louis/Wikipedia Day, (January 2011) Wikipedia's 10th anniversary