Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/University of Maryland Disability Awareness Month Wikipedia Edit-a-thon
University of Maryland Disability Awareness Month Wikipedia Edit-a-thon
Join us to kick off the University of Maryland’s Disability Awareness Month events with a Wikipedia edit-a-thon. During this event, we will edit and expand Wikipedia articles related to disability. By contributing to Wikipedia, we can help to ensure that its well-trafficked resources provide comprehensive and accurate representations of disability.
New to editing Wikipedia? Don't worry - training will be provided.
Laptops are required. Please bring your own. Wikimedia DC has two laptops to loan. Reserve one by emailing email@example.com.
This event is free and open to the public. Registration is required.
- Thursday, October 3, 2019 Time: 2PM - 5PM
- Edward St. John Learning and Teaching Center (ESJ)
- Room 1309
- 4131 Campus Drive
- College Park, MD 20740
- Register here with Eventbrite
Please sign in
- This is for use on the day of the event.
- 1) Select 'Sign in'
- 2) Scroll down on the page that follows and click 'Publish changes' or 'Save changes'.
- Your username will automatically be added to the list of attendees.
Safe Space Policy
- Wikimedia movement
- Wikipedia, a web-based encyclopedia
- Wikimedia Commons, a data repository of media (images, videos and sounds). (See * Wikiproject Wikimedia Commons:GLAM Wikiproject)
- Wikidata, a common source of data, also accessible by the other projects
- Wiktionary, a dictionary
- Wikibooks, educational textbooks
- Wikinews, news articles
- Wikiquote, a collection of quotations
- Wikisource, a library of source texts and documents
- Wikiversity, educational material
- Wikivoyage, a travel guide
- Wikispecies, a taxonomic catalogue of species
- Wikipedia:Five pillars
- Wikipedia:Core content policies
- Wikipedia:General notability guideline
- Wikipedia:Conflict of interest
- Wikipedia:Identifying reliable sources
- Wikipedia:No original research (Examples of Original Research)
- Wikipedia:Citing sources
- Wikipedia:Identifying and using primary sources
Quick Editing Tips
Tools, Resources and WikiProjects
TO AVOID EDITING THE SAME ARTICLES AS OTHER ATTENDEES, please use the Etherpad link below to share what you are currently editing. Remember to type 'Done' or 'Finished' when you are through making changes. REMEMBER TO PUBLISH (SAVE) OFTEN.
Suggested Work List
About the Article Assessment Quality Scale
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
- Assistive technology
- Disability justice
- Disability rights movement
- Disability studies
- Invisible disability
- List of disability studies journals
- People-first language
- Social model of disability
- Universal design