Wikipedia:National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine/quality 2020
|When and Where|
|When:||Friday, February 21, 2020|
|Time||3:30pm - 5:00|
|Where:||2101 Constitution Ave., NW. Washington, D.C.|
The National Academy of Sciences is hosting Wikipedia Quality Control, a panel presentation and community conversation as part of the MisinfoCon 2020 Conference on Friday, February 21, 2020, 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm in Washington D.C. In this talk, several experienced Wikipedia editors will describe a different aspect of how Wikipedia seeks to maintain and improve quality, including processes for checking content, selection of reliable sources of information, handling promoters of misinformation, and systemic bias.
This event is open to the public. Advance registration is required.
- Su-Laine Brodsky - The process of quality control at Wikipedia slides
- Phoebe Ayers - Using and citing reliable information sources slides
- Andrew Lih - Where are all the fake news actors? How does the Wikipedia community remain relatively free of propagators of misinformation? slides
- Rosie Stephenson-Goodnight - Knowledge gaps and systemic bias slides
- Lane Rasberry - Lane is Wikimedian in Residence at the School of Data Science at the University of Virginia. He will moderate the panel.
- 0:00-0:05 - Welcome, present format, introductions
- 0:05-0:15 - Su-Laine Brodsky
- 0:15-0:25 - Phoebe Ayers
- 0:25-0:35 - Andrew Lih
- 0:35-0:45 - Rosie Stephenson-Goodnight
- 0:45-0:55 - chat among panelists
- 0:55-1:25 - Questions from audience
- 1:23-1:30 - thanks, invitation to tomorrow's event
Wikipedia community organizations contributing to the success of and fun of this presentation include the following:
- Wikimedia D.C. is the local Wikimedia volunteer chapter whose members organized this event
- Other Wikipedia volunteer organizations including Wikimedia New York City, Cascadia Wikimedians, Wikimedia Canada and New England Wikimedians are supporting member representatives in attending and contributing to the event online
- Global thematic Wikipedia volunteer organizations including Wikimedia Medicine, Wikimedians for Sustainable Development, Wikimedia LGBT+, and WikiProject Women in Red convene the civil discussions which produce Wikipedia policy and best practices.
- Wiki Education Foundation sponsors the infrastructure which assists academic development of Wikipedia, including the metrics tracking for this event.
- Universities including University of Virginia (and add yours here) sponsor and encourage participation in this event.