Wikipedia:WikiProject Television/Life on Mars taskforce
|This TV-related WikiProject is believed to be inactive. If you are not currently a member of the project, please consider joining it or its parent project WikiProject Television to help. This tag may be removed if activity resumes, or if this tag has been placed in error.
- 1 Welcome!
- 2 Article Watch List
- 3 Main Goals
- 4 Foundations of the project:
- 5 Participants:
- 6 Projects Scope
- 7 Article Requsitions:
- 8 Resources for news and reviews
- 9 Images
- 10 Vandal Identification List
- 11 Articles
- 12 Slang list/Relevant ranks, for reference
- 13 Userboxes:
- 13.1 Enthusiast Userboxes for LOM:
- 13.2 Enthusiast Userboxes for A2A:
- 13.3 Life On Mars Wikiproject Identification Userbox (Kindly made by ALC J Naven):
- 13.4 Banner to be put on the talk page of all LOM articles:
- 13.5 LOM Navigation Box, to be put on bottom of main article page
- 13.6 LOM and A2A episode Navigation box, to put on episode articles
- 13.7 New user invites
- 14 Newsletters
- 15 Welcome Template, to welcome new users
"My name is Sam Tyler. I had an accident and I woke up in 1973. Am I mad, in a coma, or back in time? Whatever's happened, it's like I've landed on a different planet. Now maybe if I work out the reason, I can get home."
Article Watch List
Have no mercy on Vandalism.
Articles that are vandalised on a regular bases:
- DC Chris Skelton - Pathetic arbitrary word vandalism
- John Simm - Potential for edit wars, keep watching.
- Ashes to Ashes (TV series) an unprecedented amount of vandalism from a rambling weirdo.
Improving coverage of Wikipedia's LOM Pages Some LOM articles are very poorly done we aim to put a stop to this.
Foundations of the project:
Join, Create and Assess: This project needs to expand to show its true potential, Add your name to the list of participants if you are interested! and get stuck into writing articles.
No vandalism, no conflict: Never vandalise there is no need for its presence in this project, no conflict, this project will have a community of good will editors and this should always be kept in mind while going about your daily activities on Wikipedia. Lets be honest, hard working and polite because that's the best way to base a project.
Teamwork is essential if this does not take place the project will never get off the ground, if the editors just go and sit in their own corners (So to speak) no one would get anywhere. All editors need to Cooperate and if disputes arise over edits. No edit wars should take place, you both put points across on the discussion page and see what version is the best.
- Interested Wikipedians, please add your name and display Wikiproject Identification userbox (The one made by J. Naven) on your page, Thanks.
New members are advised to have a userpage to avoid their name being red linked
Current active members:
- Police,Mad,Jack (Lead Coordinator)
- J. Naven (Assistant Lead Coordinator)
- Rotring (talk)
- Wolfmankurd (talk)
- Dave Dubya
- Freddie R. Aldous
- A bright cold day in April
- Shealer (Sam Healer)
- Rob T Firefly
Thanks for your contributions!
Characters Profiles such as Gene Hunt infamously known for his one liners, Sam Tyler for his by-the-book policing. And Annie Cartwright for affection towards Sam and her looks. Phyllis Dobbs. And less known characters but still of importance, like Nelson, (Life On Mars) the pub barman. I thought it would be better if the character Nelson had Life On Mars in its name as if it didn't it would link to Horatio Nelson etc. Also DC Chris Skelton and DS Ray Carling
Episode's and their listings Such as the detailed plot for each episode and what the key scenes are in them that change a character etc. Such as episode 3 Series 2 where DS Ray Carling is caught in the explosion of a suspected IRA bomb and gets PTSD from the aftermath.
Ashes to Ashes information needed while LOM will cover the creation and upkeep of Ashes to Ashes character/actor profiles, an episode listing article and an article on all the important characters.
Some articles of the characters exclusing Annie Cartwrights need a picture of the character.
- References and sources are needed on most articles
Resources for news and reviews
These resources are intended to form a checklist of reliable sources for information about Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, and the scheduled US remake.
BBC and Kudos
In general, it's best to avoid tabloids which deal mostly in gossip.
- The Guardian
- The Telegraph
- Telegraph TV & Radio (reviews, news)
- The Times
- The Times TV and Radio (reviews, news)
- The Independent
As with many projects related to television, nearly all of our images will be non-free, used on Wikipedia only under fair use.
Images that are added to an article one week and deleted the next are no good.
To avoid that happening, we need to be pro-active about selection and display of images on articles.
Make sure images added to articles:
- are justifiable under Wikipedia's Non-free content criteria, with due attention to the Image use policy
- bear the appropriate image copyright tag
- Most TV-related content will be under Wikipedia:Image copyright tags/Non-free
- have a separate Non-free use rationale guideline for each and every article on which it is to be used
For images in lists of characters, lists of episodes, etc.:
Sometimes (especially with actors) it may be possible to obtain a free image:
General copyright questions:
Official policy on copyright:
As well as being required for fair-use of non-free images so as to minimise the potential for copyright infringement, using the smallest image practical also has advantages for usability. Web guidelines generally recommend a maximum file size of about 20kb per image, and in practice this is enough for most (though obviously not all) of the illustrative uses we employ images for. Consider scaling and cropping your images before uploading.
Vandal Identification List
For identification of know vandals.
In need of improvement:
- All episode articles
- List of Life On Mars characters
- List of Ashes to Ashes characters
- Subarticles for the main characters in Ashes to Ashes are also in desperate need of good writing
Slang list/Relevant ranks, for reference
All the ranks you will need to include in each character profile:
DC - Detective Constable (Lowest Rank)
WPC/DC - Woman Police Constable/Detective Constable. Until 1999 all woman police officers had the "woman" prefix before the police rank.
DS - Detective Sergeant (Second highest from Constable)
DI - Detective Inspector (Senior to Seageant)
DCI - Detective Chief Inspector (Head of department, higher than Inspector)
CID - Unit in all British Police Forces, Criminal Investigation Department which Sam Tyler and associates are in.
Plod - CID slang for Uniformed Officers like Annie Cartwright was in Series 1
Jessie - A 1970's Northern English word for wimpish or effeminate
General Miscellaneous information
The pub which Nelson runs and the CID team drink in is called the Railway Arms
The vehicle DCI Gene Hunt drives around in with the team is a Ford Cortina Mk 3
Enthusiast Userboxes for LOM:
Enthusiast Userboxes for A2A:
Banner to be put on the talk page of all LOM articles:
New user invites
This page contains all of current and past newsletters for the project.
- Please note that this project is by NO WAY supported by Life on Mars, BBC or any of the actors and does not claim to be.