Wikipedia:Workshop for Women
Workshop for Women in Wikipedia has been created for volunteers interested in working on Wikipedia:Workshops that encourage more women to become Wikipedia editors. This is a project on English Wikipedia which is part of the larger Wikimedia Gender Gap project. It suggests workshop content and provides a list of related workshops, as well as a list of Wikipedia editors who have conducted and/or will conduct workshops for women interested in editing Wikipedia. These individuals also can be resources for helping you prepare you own workshop.
Wikipedia:Workshop provides sample workshops and links to other workshop resources to help you create general content about the many aspects of editing wikipedia. Below is an outline of issues to explore and content to emphasize that is especially related to women's concerns.
- Interface/html related issues.
- Issues in creating a user name that identifies one as a woman. (See Wikipedia:Why create an account?)
- Getting help from other editors at Wikipedia:Reference desk, Wikipedia:Editor assistance, appropriate Wikipedia:Village pumps, Wikipedia:Teahouse, Wikipedia:Adopt-a-user program, as well as Wikiprojects on topics of interest.
- Collaboration issues regarding sometimes contentious editing situations including Wikipedia:Consensus, Wikipedia:Civility, Wikipedia:Dispute resolution and savvy use of Wikipedia:Noticeboards and the many Wikipedia Wikiprojects which allow collaboration on articles of common interest.
Past and future workshops
- 2011 Womens Wikipedia Workshops in India news story.
- DC Women Who Wiki Workshop, June 18, 2011.
- WikiConference India 2011 (November 18-19) had three "Gender Gap" workshops of interest which provide many ideas for those creating workshops:
- OccupediA - Women Contributing to Wikipedia article on a first workshop. Occupy Wikipedia permanent page.
- WikiWomenCamp in May 2012 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, will be holding many get togethers which will be or form the basis of workshops.
- The worldwide Wikimania 2012 conference, July 12–14 in Washington, DC held a couple relevant panels and a luncheon with over 100 women. (See photo.)
- Wikipedia Women Workshop in Mumbai, November 4, 2012.
Editors interested in teaching workshops
Resources for women editors
- Wikipedia:Workshop includes a sample one day workshop and more resources.
- Wikipedia:WikiWomen's History Month also lists current women-related Wikipedia projects and events.
- Wikimedia Gender Gap project lists various resources and projects throughout the Wikimedia projects.
- Wikipedia:Teahouse, which helps new editors become accustomed to community culture, ask questions, and develop community relationships, was especially created with women in mind.
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Feminism and Wikipedia:WikiProject Women's History.
- Wikipedia:WikiWomen's History Month