William Powell (gridiron football)
|No. 29 – Ottawa Redblacks|
|Date of birth:||March 9, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Houston, Texas|
|Height:||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight:||207 lb (94 kg)|
|High school:||Duncanville (TX)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Roster status:||6-game injured list|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
William O. Powell II was born in Houston, Texas March 9, 1988. When Powell was about a year old, he and his family relocated to Dallas, TX. Powell is a 2006 Graduate of Duncanville High School in Duncanville, Texas. Powell is the son of the late Darla S. Powell. He is the middle child between two sisters, Brittanye and Jasmyn.
He played College football at Navarro Junior College, and then at Kansas State. He was never a starter in college, but earned the starting role in 2008 his final year at Navarro, where he led the team in Rushing Yards (937), Touchdowns (8), Carries(139) and Yards Per Carry Average (6.7). He then went on to Kansas State, where he began as a special teams player. He then proceeded to become 2nd on the depth chart behind Daniel Thomas during his 2nd year at Kansas State. He also was given the role of kickoff returner, where he led the nation in Kickoff Return Average (34.5). His season was cut short, however, when he suffered a season ending toe injury against Texas Longhorns. This injury occurred after his 4th and final Collegiate Rushing Touchdown.
On September 8, 2015 Powell signed with the Ottawa Redblacks of the Canadian Football League. Powell made his professional debut on October 6, 2015 against the Toronto Argonauts after an injury to starting running back Jeremiah Johnson. Powell would go on to start the final 5 games of the regular season, carrying the ball 77 times for 447 yards (4.9 yard average) with 2 rushing touchdowns. He also contributed in the passing attack catching 19 passes for 158 yards with one receiving touchdown. On June 15, 2016, it was reported that Powell would miss the entire 2016 season with an Achilles injury that he suffered in the team's first preseason game. Set to become a free agent on February 14, 2017 the Reblacks signed Powell to a one-year contract extension on January 31, 2017.
- Wulf, Bo (July 24, 2013). "Eagles Claim RB William Powell". PhiladelphiaEagles.com. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- "RB Powell Waived; Rookies Activated". PhiladelphiaEagles.com. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- "After Cutting Three, Texans Sign Two Running Backs". Houston.CBSLocal.com. August 11, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- Texans trim roster on Monday
- Beard, Ron. "Lions to promote RB Winn; place RB Owens on IR". Detroit News. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- Schwab, Frank. "Lions cut running back ... and send him home from London". Yahoo Sports. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "Tim Baines on Twitter". Retrieved 2015-10-07.
- "REPORT: REDBLACKS LOSE POWELL FOR SEASON TO ACHILLES INJURY". cfl.ca. June 15, 2016. Retrieved June 15, 2016.
- "Redblacks re-sign Powell on one-year deal - Article - TSN". TSN. 2017-01-31. Retrieved 2017-02-01.