|Labels||Massacre Records (current)|
B.O. records (bound by metal)
Bow-records (first two albums)
Wizard is a German power metal band, formed in 1989 by the drummer Sören "Snoppi" van Heek. The band was often called "Germany's answer to Manowar". Most of the band's lyrics are about battles, metal, war and steel. There are some exceptions, for example "Odin", which is a concept album about Norse mythology, "Goochan" which is a fantasy story about a witch (written by Volker Leson and author William B. Nuke), "Thor" which is also about Norse mythology and "... Of Wariwulfs and Bluotvarwes" which is about vampires and werewolves (written by Wizard and Andre Wiesler, German author).
In 2003 longtime guitarist Michael Maass quit the band because of health problems. Dano Boland became a new guitarist for the band in early 2004. In 2006 the band left the label Limb Music after three albums and joined the somewhat larger label Massacre Records, with a new album in mind to be released on January 27, 2007, titled Goochan. On May 18, 2007, Michael Maass returned to the band after a four-year break.
The band's 2009 album Thor received a positive review from The Pit reviewer Frank Heise, who praised "The Visitor" as the best track on it.
The band's 2011 album ...Of Wariwulfs and Bluotvarwes received a positive review from SLUG Magazine reviewer Dylan Chadwick noting that "well trodden, and admittedly formulaic, it's a resoundingly competent platter of steel-willed, fist pounding heavy metal that'll satisfy the most voracious headbanger's hunger."
- Sven D'Anna - vocals (1989-)
- Sören van Heek (Snoppi) - drums (1989-)
- Michael Maass - Guitar (1989–2003, 2007-)
- Dano Boland - Guitar (2004-)
- Arndt Ratering - Bass (2013-)
- Legion of Doom (1991)
- Son of Darkness (1995)
- Battle of Metal (1997)
- Bound by Metal (1999)
- Head of the Deceiver (2001)
- Odin (2003)
- Magic Circle (2005)
- Goochan (2007)
- Thor (2009)
- ...Of Wariwulfs and Bluotvarwes (2011)
- Trail of Death (2013)
- Fallen Kings (2017)
- Louder Than the Dragon (2004)
- "Sören "Snoppi" van Heek". drummerszone.com.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Wizard: Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "DRAGONLORD Confirmed For Germany's WACKEN OPEN AIR Festival". Blabbermouth.net/Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "MANOWAR: Video Footage From The Studio Posted Online". Blabbermouth.net/Roadrunner Records. 21 May 2009. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "Line-up". Hammerfest. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "Wizard: Thor." The-pit.de. Accessed February 2012.
- Dylan Chadwick (20 October 2011). "Blog Exclusive CD Reviews". SLUG Magazine. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "Interview With Sören van Heek". Maximum Metal. 2003-10-22.
- "WIZARD To Release 'Goochan' In February". Blabbermouth.net/Roadrunner Records. 25 December 2006. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "WIZARD To Release New Album In March". Blabbermouth.net/Roadrunner Records. 7 February 2011. Retrieved 17 February 2012.