Canal Once (Mexico)
|Type||Terrestrial television and cable network|
|Country||Mexico and United States|
|Owner||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|March 2, 1959|
|Once TV/Once TV México (1996-2013)|
Canal Once (Channel Eleven; formerly Once TV México), is a Mexican educational broadcast television network owned by Instituto Politecnico Nacional. The network's flagship station is XEIPN channel 11 in Mexico City. It broadcasts across Mexico through local television affiliates, cable television, and free-to-air satellite. The network is also available in the United States via satellite from DirecTV and also various cable outlets on "Latino" or "Spanish" tiers. Most of its programs are also webcast through the Internet, though its programming is not the same as the actual aerial or satellite signal.
The network began broadcasting on March 2, 1959, when its flagship station became the first non-profit educational and cultural television station in Mexico, owned and operated by a Mexican institution of higher education. The television channel was conceived by Alejo Peralta y Díaz, Director of the National Polytechnic Institute (1956–1959), and supported by Eugenio Méndez Docurro, Director of the National Polytechnic Institute (1959–1962), Walter Cross Buchanan, Secretary of Communications and Transportation, and Jaime Torres Bodet, Secretary of Public Education. Its first broadcast was a mathematics class transmitted from a small television studio located at the Casco de Santo Tomás, in the northern part of Mexico City. In 2013, Once TV México returned to its original name of Canal Once as part of a branding refresh.
In 2015, the IPN launched Once Niños, a subchannel of Canal Once featuring children's programming. On December 31, 2015, Canal Once completed its digital television transition.
Canal Once has won many national and international prizes, including the following:
- Golden Prize T 08 for Program Promotion: "Violencia Doméstica"
- Golden Prize T 10 for Special Event Program Promotion: "Violencia Doméstica"
- Silver Prize T 08 for Program Promotion: "Diálogos en confianza" (Talk show)
- Silver Prize T 27 for Non-Promotional Animation: " Master of lounge music "
- Promax BDA World Gold Awards 2004, New York, U.S.:
- Gold 56 for Consumer Topical Advertising: "Pasión por la Naturaleza "
- Silver 4 for Topical Print: "Tour de cine francés"
- Silver 65 for Poster: "Tour de cine francés"
- Silver 69 for Illustration for Print: "Pasión por la Naturaleza "
- Bronze 13 for Open: "Violencia Familiar"
- Bronze 16 for Art Direction & Design, Topical Promo: " Diálogos en Confianza "
- Jury's Special Mention for "Series del Once"
Canal Once has an extensive transmitter network owned by the IPN that is supplemented by the SPR transmitter network. IPN-owned transmitters are exclusively allotted virtual channel 11.
Once Niños is only available on Canal Once transmitters owned by the IPN.
|46||11||XHTJB-TDT||Tijuana, BC||Canal Once||78.96 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|20||11||XHCHU-TDT||Cd. Cuauhtémoc, Chih.||Canal Once||22.09 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|20||11||XHCHD-TDT||Cd. Delicias, Chih.||Canal Once||146.17 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|25||11||XHCHI-TDT||Chihuahua, Chih.||Canal Once||130.31 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|31||11||XHSCE-TDT||Saltillo, Coah.||Canal Once||9.08 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|33||11||XEIPN-TDT||Mexico City||Canal Once||104.05 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|33||11||XHDGO-TDT||Durango, Dgo.||Canal Once||10.04 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|34||11||XHGPD-TDT||Gómez Palacio, Dgo.||Canal Once||14.23 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|21||11||XHVBM-TDT||Valle de Bravo, Mex.||Canal Once||2.82 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|20||11||XHCIP-TDT||Cuernavaca, Mor.||Canal Once||22.92 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|24||11||XHSLP-TDT||San Luis Potosí, SLP||Canal Once||22.52 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|21||11||XHSIN-TDT||Culiacán, Sin.||Canal Once||44.45 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
|21||11||XHSIM-TDT||Los Mochis, Sin.||Canal Once||218.51 kW||Instituto Politécnico Nacional|
Canal Once was formerly relayed by the state networks of Guerrero (Radio y Televisión de Guerrero), Nayarit (Tele 10) and Quintana Roo (Sistema Quintanarroense de Comunicación Social), and also by XHCOZ-TDT, an independent local station in Cozumel, Quintana Roo. XHCOZ holds virtual channel 11 as an artifact of its former carriage of Canal Once's programming.
Canal Once continues to supply programming to state networks, such as XHBZC-TDT in Baja California Sur.
- "El Once y su historia". Once TV. Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- "Cumple 50 años de vida el Canal Once de televisión". Yahoo! Noticias. Retrieved 2009-03-02.[dead link]
- La televisora del IPN retoma el nombre de Canal 11, Notimex 14 November 2013 (Spanish)