This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Known for||sculpture, installation art, painting, photography, film|
Life and career
After graduating from the École nationale supérieure des Arts décoratifs in Paris, Xavier Veilhan continues his formation in Berlin at the Hochschule der Künste, in the atelier of artist Georg Baselitz. He returns to Paris to finish his studies in 1989 at the Institut des hautes Etudes en Arts plastiques.
His work is multi-faceted, encompassing sculpture, installation, painting and photography, as well as hybrids of all of these. He is also engaged in performance work and filmmaking. He plays with the notions of the generic, of the industrially produced object and of universal representation, creating objects at once ambivalent and stark. Concerned with the scenography of a dedicated presentation, Veilhan addresses issues of perception as well as the physical and temporal relationships created within the context of the exhibition format. His work is to be found in the most important public and private collections worldwide. He has also made several permanent public works in numerous locations across the world, as well as creating temporary site-specific interventions within Architectones, a project that has received critical acclaim since 2012.
Xavier Veilhan is represented by Andréhn-Schiptjenko (Stockholm), Galerie Perrotin (Paris, New York, Hong Kong, Seoul), Galeria Nara Roesler (São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, New York) and 313 Art Project (Seoul).
- Le Monstre, interview with Anastassia Makridou-Bretonneau and Valérie Pihet, text by Bénédicte Ramade, Tours: Eternal Network, 2016
- Architectones: Art in the living environment, texts by François Perrin, Sarah Lorenzen, Frank Escher, Pedro Gadanho, Ingrid Luquet-Gad, Jan Tumlir and Jean-Louis Cohen; interview with Claude Parent, Los Angeles : SPA, 2015
- Xavier Veilhan, monograph, texts by Andrew Berardini and Yuko Hasegawa, Paris: Turenne Editions, 2015
- Xavier Veillhan: Rays, Zurich : JRP Ringier, 2014
- Double Vues, chronique d'une exposition, Paris : Laurent Bochet, Éditions Florence Leoni, 2013
- Xavier Veilhan / (IN) Balance, text and interview by Vesela Stretenović, Washington : The Phillips Collection, 2012
- Xavier Veilhan at Hatfield – Promenade, text by Bénédicte Ramade, interview with Jessica Lack, London : Gascoyne Holdings Press, 2012
- Xavier Veilhan 1999-2009, monograph, texts by Jean-Pierre Criqui, Arnault Pierre, Laurent Le Bon, Pierre Senges, interview with Michel Gautier, Dijon; Zürich, 2009
- Xavier Veilhan. Des expositions comme des paysages, edited by Beaux Arts éditions, Paris, 2009.
- Xavier Veilhan 1999-2009, ed. Jean-Pierre Criqui, with texts by Jean-Jacques Aillagon, Jean-Pierre Criqui, Laurent Le Bon, Arnauld Pierre, Pierre Senges and an interview by Michel Gauthier, JRP| Ringier, Zurich, 2009
- Light Machines, edited by Les Presses du Réel, 2007
- Le Plein emploi, with texts by Michel Gauthier, Patrick Javault, Hakan Nilsson and John Welchman (in French and English), exhibition catalogue, Musée d'Art moderne et contemporain, Strasbourg, 2005
- Fantome, with text by Fernandeo Casto Florez, Centro de Arte Caja de Burgos, Burgos, Spain, 2005
- Vanishing Point, with texts by Alison Gingeras and Christine Macel, Centre Pompidou, Paris, 2004
- Xavier Veilhanv, with texts by Dan Cameron, Liam Gillick, Alison Gingeras, John Miller, Le Magasin, Grenoble, 2000
- Tableaux, 1997-1998, Center for Contemporary Art, Kitakyushu, 1999
- Xavier Veilhan, Centre de Création Contemporaine, Tours; FRAC Languedoc Roussillon, Montpellier; Consortium, Centre d'Art Contemporain, Dijon; Editions JRP, Geneva; 1995
- Xavier Veilhan, artist book, Galerie Jennifer Flay, Paris, 1992
- Un centimètre égal un mètre, with texts by Eric Troncy, Liam Gillick (in French and in English), exhibition catalogue, A.P.A.C., Centre d'Art Contemporain, Nevers & Paris, 1991
- Xavier Veilhan. Un peu de biologie, with an interview by Nicolas Bourriaud (in Italian and in English), exhibition catalogue, Galleria Fac-Simile, Milano, 1990
- Architectones by Xavier Veilhan
French/English. Running time: 70'.
Editor: A.P.R.E.S. Productions, 2016
Director: François Combin / URUBU Films
- Veilhan Versailles - DVD
French/English. Running time : 52'.
Publisher Réunion des Musées Nationaux, 2009.
Director : Jordan Feldman
- 256 jours - DVD
French/English. Running time : 90'.
Editor Bureau des vidéos, 2007
Director : Jordan Feldman
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Xavier Veilhan.|