Xiang Songzuo (Chinese: 向松祚; pinyin: Xiàng Sōngzuò; born 1965) is a Chinese academic and economist. Currently, he is a professor at the Renmin University School of Finance and previously worked as a chief economist at the Agricultural Bank of China, and as a deputy director at the People's Bank of China.
Xiang was born in Zigui County, Hubei. He earned his Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering at Huazhong University in 1986, and a Masters and Ph.D. in economics from Renmin University in 1993, and a Masters in International Affairs in 1999 at Columbia University, where he studied under Robert Mundell, a prominent promoter of supply-side economics. He is currently Deputy Director and Senior Fellow of the Center for International Monetary Research at Renmin University, a member of the advisory board of the Official Monetary and Financial Institutions Forum, and a special researcher at the Minsheng Research Institute of China. He is also a fellow at the Johns Hopkins University Institute for Applied Economics, Global Health, and the Study of Business Enterprise.
On December 16, 2018, Xiang gave a lecture in Shanghai, which critiqued economic policy under Xi Jinping and cited an unnamed report from an official institute, claiming that China's economic growth rate may be much lower than official statistics suggest, and that dramatic economic reforms were necessary, such as tax cuts consistent with the lines of supply-side economics of his former academic teacher at Columbia University . The video has since been censored on the Chinese internet, but a copy of the video has been uploaded to Youtube, where it has over 1 million views as of December 28th.
- "Xiang Songzuo". Renmin University of China. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "Fellows". Johns Hopkins University Krieger School of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- Buckley, Chris (December 18, 2018). "China's Leader Says Party Must Control 'All Tasks,' and Asian Markets Slump". The New York Times. New York Times Company. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "A Great Shift Unseen Over the Last Forty Years". China Change. China Change. Retrieved 28 December 2018.
- "The pitiful state of the Chinese economy". asianews. Vatican. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- "向松祚震撼演讲：四十年未有之大变局". Youtube. Retrieved 28 December 2018.