You Are My Sunshine (2015 film)
|You Are My Sunshine|
|Directed by||Yang Wenjun|
|Based on||Silent Separation by Gu Man|
|Box office||$56.62 million (China)|
You Are My Sunshine (Chinese: 何以笙箫默), also known as Silent Separation, is a 2015 Chinese romantic drama film starring Huang Xiaoming and Yang Mi. It was released on April 30, 2015. The movie is based on the novel Silent Separation written by Gu Man. A 2015 Chinese television series, My Sunshine, is based on the same novel.
In their university days, Zhao Mosheng fell in love at first sight with law student He Yichen. Through various incidents where Mosheng "stalked" Yichen on campus, Mosheng's cheerful personality charmed Yichen, and they slowly became college sweethearts. When Yichen's foster sister Yimei challenged Mosheng for Yichen's attention, Mosheng turned directly to Yichen for clarification, but did not expect to receive a cold response from him. Mistaking that Yichen and Yimei are a couple, Mosheng followed her father's arrangements and moved to the United States to continue her studies. Seven years later, Mosheng - who is now a professional photographer - returns to China, and coincidentally bumps into the unforgettable Yichen. Since the seven years they broke up, many people stand in the way of these star-crossed lovers: foster-sister Yimei; Mosheng's marriage in United States; the unrelentingly infatuated ex-husband Ying Hui; as well as the financial grudges between the couple's fathers. All these situations continue to affect the two former lovers, but instead, these misunderstandings and challenges give them a better comprehension of the love they have missed over the past seven years.
- Huang Xiaoming as He Yichen
- Yang Mi as Zhao Mosheng
- Tong Dawei as Ying Hui
- Angelababy as He Yimei
- Evonne Hsieh as Hua Xianzi
- Huang Zitao as William
- Joan Chen as Pei Fangmei
- Sui He as Xiao Xiao
- Ma Su as Ms. Wen
- Hua Shao as Teacher Zhou
- Eric Tsang as Mr. Lin
- Yao Anlian as Zhao Qing Yuan
- Sun Yizhou as Supermarket Manager
- Kong Lianshun as Supermarket Security officer
- Shen Tai as Xiang Heng
- Liu Tianzuo as Mr. Yuan (Lao Yuan)
The film opened in China on April 30, 2015 and earned $37.68 million from 180,513 screenings and 6.7 million admissions in its opening weekend, debuting at number two at the Chinese box office behind Furious 7.
- Clifford Coonan (May 25, 2015). "China Box Office: 'Avengers' Passes $200M as Bollywood Hit 'PK' Opens Strongly". The Hollywood Reporter. (Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved May 26, 2015.
- "何以笙箫默（2015）". cbooo.cn (in Chinese). Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- Kevin Ma (April 29, 2015). "Hollywood sets records across Greater China". Film Business Asia. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- "何以笙箫默 (2015)". movie.douban.com (in Chinese). douban.com. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- Jonathan Papish (May 4, 2015). "China Box Office Weekend Actuals: 'Furious 7' Takes Victory Lap As It Nears $400M, Fourth Weekend At #1; 'Silent Separation' Close Second; 'Home' Holds Strong Over Holiday". BoxOffice.com. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- Maggie Lee (May 10, 2015). "Film Review: 'You Are My Sunshine'". variety.com. Retrieved June 8, 2015.
- "The most disappointing films in the Chinese mainland in 2015". Global Times. January 5, 2016.