Mohamed Yusuf Haji
|Mohamed Yusuf Haji
|Maxamed Yuusuf Xaaji|
|Member of the Kenyan Senate|
28 March 2013
|Minister of State for Defence|
8 January 2008 – 26 April 2013
|Preceded by||Njenga Karume|
|Succeeded by||Raychelle Omamo|
|Member of the National Assembly of Kenya|
2003 – March 2013
|Preceded by||Mohammed Weyrah|
|Succeeded by||Ibrahim Abass Ibrahim|
23 December 1940 |
Garissa District, British Kenya
|Alma mater||University of Birmingham (Dip)|
Mohamed Yusuf Haji (Somali: Maxamed Yuusuf Xaaji) (born 23 December 1940) is a Kenyan politician. He was the Minister of Defence of Kenya from 2008 to 2013, and briefly served as its acting Minister of Internal Security and Provincial Affairs in 2012. He has served in the Senate of Kenya since 2013.
Haji began his professional career in administration and management. He joined the Provincial Administration of Kenya as a District Officer, and went on to serve as Provincial Commissioner between 1970 and 1997.
From 1998 to 2001, Haji worked as an Assistant Minister in the Office of the President. He subsequently acted as the Office's Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs in 2002.
Minister of Defence
On 18 October 2011, Haji and a Kenyan delegation met with Transitional Federal Government of Somalia (TFG) officials in Mogadishu to discuss security issues cooperation against the Islamist Al-Shabaab group as part of the coordinated Operation Linda Nchi. Haji and Somalia's Minister of Defence Hussein Arab Isse then signed an agreement to collaborate against the insurgent group.
Haji's term as Minister of Defence ended on 26 April 2013.
Minister of Internal Security
On 18 June 2012, Haji was appointed Kenya's acting Minister of Internal Security and Provincial Affairs after the incumbent minister George Saitoti died in a helicopter crash a few days earlier. Haji had previously worked closely with Saitoti on the Linda Nchi military operation. Haji held the new position concurrently with the Minister of Defence docket until a permanent Internal Minister was appointed on 21 September 2012.
- "HON. MOHAMED YUSUF HAJI, E.G.H., M.P., THE MINISTER OF STATE FOR DEFENCE". Ministry of Defence of Kenya. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- The Weekly Review. Stellascope Limited. 1997. p. 200. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Members Of The 10th Parliament. Parliament of Kenya. Accessed 19 June 2008.
- "SomaliaReport: Kenya and Somalia Agree to Fight Al-Shabaab". Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "PM – Somali President speaks out against Kenyan invasion 25/10/2011". Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Kenya: Defense Minister appointed as acting Internal Security Minister". Garowe Online. 19 June 2012. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Ombati, Cyrus (26 April 2013). "Woman Takes Over Powerful Defence Docket". Standard Digital. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Newly appointed ministers, assistant sworn-in". Daily Nation. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 24 September 2012.