|Born||January 29, 1984|
|Alma mater||Franklin Pierce University (BS)|
|Occupation||Founder/CEO at Iris Nova (DIRTY LEMON)|
|Known for||Iris Nova, DIRTY LEMON, Little Duck Organics|
Zak Normandin (born January 29, 1984) is an American entrepreneur, product designer, and the Founder and CEO of Iris Nova, the parent company of NYC-based beverage brand DIRTY LEMON. He had previously founded Little Duck Organics, a privately held New York City based company focused on organic children's snacks. Normandin is best known for innovative consumer product package designs, advocacy of organic food products and development of the text-message based payment and customer service platform used DIRTY LEMON and the portfolio of Iris Nova beverage brands.
Early life and career
Normandin was born in Leominster, MA. He began his career as a Marine Engineer in the United States Coast Guard. The inspiration to create a food company came after becoming a father, when he was unable to find healthy, sugar-free foods for his children. He started Little Duck Organics in his basement in 2009. The brand quickly gained popularity and helped him in raising funding rounds from notable angel investors and venture capitalists including Chris Burch and Tom First.
In 2011, at Natural Products Expo East, he was awarded Best Packaging for a design Normandin created for the Tiny Fruits product line. In 2012, Little Duck Organics was recognized in a round-up of the "World's Most Dazzling Trade-Show Exhibits" with Nintendo, Nike, and Red Bull. In 2013, Little Duck Organics won the Most Innovative Award at Expo West 2013. Later in 2013, his company was awarded with the New Arrival Award - Best New Products of 2013, for its new product Mighty Oats.
Normandin worked on Plantable packaging for his product Mighty Oats that can yield vegetables if planted. As of 2014, Under his leadership, Little Duck Organics achieved a retail presence in more than 30 countries. In 2014, Normandin sold majority control of Little Duck Organics, and left the company to start a creative agency and product development house.
In 2015 Normandin co-founded DIRTY LEMON, which quickly garnered a celebrity following from the likes of Kate Hudson, Karlie Kloss, Mindy Kaling, and Cardi B. DIRTY LEMON is an omni-channel functional beverage brand with products which utilizes Iris Nova's SMS-based e-commerce platform, a technology ideated by Normandin.
In 2018, Normandin raised a $15M SEED round for Iris Nova, the parent company of DIRTY LEMON. The round of funding was led by Coca-Cola North America’s Venturing and Emerging Brands (VEB) unit with additional support from Greycroft, GGV Capital, Imaginary Ventures, CASSIUS Family, PLUS Capital, Nebari Ventures, Winklevoss Capital, Betaworks Ventures, and Lakehouse Ventures.
Awards and recognition
- In 2018, Normandin was recognized as a '2018 Visionary' by Consumer Goods Technology.
- In 2018, Normandin was recognized as a '2018 Total Retail Game Changer' by Total Retail.
- In 2019, Normandin was recognized as a '2019 Disruptive Innovation Leader' by INNOCOS.
- "Coca-Cola Leads $15M Investment in Dirty Lemon Parent Co. Iris Nova". BevNET.com. 2018-12-20. Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- Erin Magner (7 March 2016). "Detox drink sensation Dirty Lemon is cleaning up your hair and skin next".
- Kolodny, Lora (5 December 2013). "Fatherhood Inspires Little Duck's Healthy Snacks for Kids". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "Little Duck Organics Founder On Being A Dad And An Entrepreneur – with Zak Normandin". Mixergy. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Hendrickson, Dyke (March 22, 2012). "'Little Duck' a strong swimmer". Daily News of Newburyport. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Spinner, Jenni (October 20, 2011). "Little Duck Organics wins best packaging honors at Expo East". Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Blum, Brian (April 28, 2013). "Abe's Market: natural, organic, and founded in Israel". Israel21c. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "Little Ducks Organics Baby Food". Babble. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Goldberg, Max (April 26, 2012). "Little Duck Organics is a Real Winner for Kids…. and Parents". Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Jane Wakefield, Kylie (4 June 2014). "Little Duck Organics' Natural Road to Success". Greenpoint Gazette. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Kuchler, Hannah (14 May 2014). "Tech start-ups to look out for". Financial Times. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "If you want big rewards, you have to take risks". Think Entrepreneurship. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Wimberly, Rachel (September 27, 2011). "Natural Products Expo East Grows After Return to Baltimore". Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "Little Duck Organics is Moving Forward with Organic Baby Foods". Under30ceo.com. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "The National Parenting Publications Awards". Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Taylor Boozan (20 December 2017). "Wellness Beverage Brand Dirty Lemon Announces Collaboration with VOGUE".
- Abby Reisner (3 February 2016). "The dirty lemon water cleanse".
- Marina Kennedy (10 November 2015). "Zak Normandin Founder of DIRTY LEMON DETOX".
- "Coca-Cola buys stake in company behind New York's cashierless drinks store". The National. Retrieved 2019-01-05.
- Peter Breen & Nicole Gillo (12 June 2018). "Visionaries 2018".
- Melissa Campanelli (11 September 2018). "2018 Total Retail Game Changers".
- Irina Kremin (3 March 2019). "2019 INNOCOS LEADERSHIP AWARDS".