|Studio album by Rosie Vela|
Zazu (1986) is the debut (and, to date, only) album released by American model and singer-songwriter Rosie Vela. The album was produced by Gary Katz, best known for his work in that capacity with Steely Dan, and many of the songs feature Steely Dan's Donald Fagen on keyboards and Walter Becker on guitar. Also noteworthy is that Tony Levin plays Chapman stick on the songs "Tonto" and "Zazu".
Despite receiving positive reviews and the single "Magic Smile" reaching #29 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart, Zazu was a commercial failure in Vela's native United States. However it was more successful in Europe, notably in the United Kingdom where it reached #20 on the national albums chart and earned a Silver disc. The single "Magic Smile" was also a UK Top 30 hit. The CD album has been out of print in North America and Europe since the early 1990s but was rereleased in the UK by Cherry Red Records in 2011.
In addition to "Magic Smile", two other tracks ("Interlude" and "Fool's Paradise") were also released as singles.
Vela recorded a second album entitled Sun Across the Altar, but the album remains unreleased.
All tracks written by Rosie Vela unless stated
- "Fool's Paradise" 4:04
- "Magic Smile" 4:26
- "Interlude" 4:07
- "Tonto" 5:40
- "Sunday" 4:32
- "Taxi" 3:27
- "2nd Emotion" (Rosie Vela; Fritz Doddy; Jeb Guthrie; Jock Guthrie) 4:47
- "Boxs" 3:55
- "Zazu" 4:46
- Vocals - Rosie Vela
- Synthesizer - Donald Fagen, Walter Becker, Aaron Zigman, Larry Fast, Rosie Vela
- Guitar - Walter Becker, Michael Been, Rick Derringer
- Bass - Neil Stubenhaus, Jerry Haslip
- Drums - Jerry Bralower, Jim Keltner, Yogi Horton, Chat Vela
- Percussion - Jimmy Bralower
- Chapman Stick - Tony Levin
- Backing Vocals - Joy Askew, Jenny Peters, Rosie Vela
- Producer - Gary Katz
- Engineer - Daniel Lazerus
- Engineer [Assistant Mix], Technician [Digital] - Wayne Yurgelun
- Engineer [Assistant] – Mike Cosmai, Tim Hatfield
- Engineer [Mix] – Elliot Scheiner
- Mastering – Bob Ludwig
- Photography – Richard Corman
|Magic Smile||1986||7", 12"||
|Fool's Paradise||1987||7", 12"||