|Born||December 10, 1937|
|Occupation||research engineer, professor|
Zdeněk Pavel Bažant (born December 10, 1937) is McCormick School Professor and Walter P. Murphy Professor of Civil Engineering and Materials Science in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Northwestern University's Robert R. McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science.
Education, career and academic positions
Born on December 10, 1937, and educated in Prague, Bažant received the degree of Civil Engineer from the Czech Technical University (CTU) in Prague in 1960. While employed as Bridge Designer he earned in 1963 (as an external student) a PhD in engineering mechanics from the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, and in 1966 a postgraduate diploma in theoretical physics from Charles University, Prague. During 1964–67 he was research assistant professor at CTU, and obtained the degree of Docent habilitatis from CTU in 1967. After postdoctoral appointments at CEBTP Paris (1966–67) and University of Toronto (1967–68), he was in 1968–69 associate research engineer at the University of California, Berkeley. In 1969 he joined Northwestern University as an associate professor; he became professor of civil engineering in 1973. During 1981–87 he served as the founding director of Center for Geomaterials. Since 1990, he has held the W.P. Murphy Chair in Civil and Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, and since 2002 the chair of McCormick Institute Professor. Bažant was the president of the Society of Engineering Science, and founding president of the International Association of Fracture Mechanics of Concrete Structures (IA-FRAMCOS) and of the International Association of Concrete Creep and Durability Mechanics (IA-CONCREEP). He served Division Director in IA-SMiRT (Struct. Mech. in Reactor Technology), as member of the US Nat. Comm. on Theor. and Applied Mech., and as editor-in-chief of Journal of Engrg. Mechanics of the Am. Soc. of Civil Engers. (ASCE). He is US regional editor of Int. J. of Fracture.
Research contributions and impact
Bažant, who is "generally regarded as the world leader in research on scaling in the mechanics of solids", is the author of six books dealing with concrete creep, stability of structures, fracture and size effect, inelastic analysis and scaling of structural strength. He is an Illinois registered Structural Engineer, and is one of the original top 100 ISI highly cited researchers in engineering (of all fields, worldwide). As of June 2015, his H-index is 103, i10 is 496, and total citations 46,000 (on Google, minus self-citations).
Honors and awards
Bažant was elected to US National Academy of Sciences in 2002, US National Academy of Engineering in 1996, and American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2008. He is a foreign member of the Royal Society of London (2015), Austrian Academy of Sciences, Academy of Engrg. of Czech Rep., Italian National Academy (dei Lincei, Rome), Spanish Royal Academy of Engrg., Istituto Lombardo (Milan), Academia Europaea (London) and European Acad. of Science and Arts. His honors include 7 honorary doctorates: CTU Prague (1991), TU Karlsruhe (Fredericiana, 1997), UC Boulder (2000), Politecnico di Milano (2001), INSA Lyon (2004), TU Vienna (2006), and Ohio State University (Dec. 2011). He is a Honorary member of Am. Soc. of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Am. Soc. of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Am. Concrete Institute (ACI), RILEM, Paris (Int. Union of Res. Lab. In Mat. & Str.), Czech Soc. of Mechanics, Czech Soc. of Civil Engineers, Czech Concrete Society, and Building Res. Institute of Spain. He has given almost one hundred plenary conference lectures and over thirty distinguished university lectures. His honors include:
- Timoshenko Medal (ASME)
- Worcester Reed Warner Medal (ASME)
- Nadai Medal (ASME)
- von Karman Medal (ASCE)
- Newmark Medal (ASCE)
- Biot Medal (ASCE)
- Mindlin Medal (ASCE)
- Croes Medal (ASCE)
- Lifetime Achievement Award (ASCE Ill. Section)
- W.L. Huber Prize (ASCE)
- TY Lin Award (ASCE)
- Prager Medal (Soc. of Engrg. Science, SES)
- Roy Award (Am. Ceramic Society, ACS)
- L’Hermite Gold Medal (RILEM, Paris)
- Wilhelm Exner Medal (Austria Gov.-Industry Assoc. awarded by Austrian President)
- Šolín Medal (CTU Prague)
- Medal of Czech Soc. for Mech.
- Stodola Medal (Bratislava)
- Zdenek Bazant, Sr., Medal (CTU Prague)
- Outstanding Contributions Award (IACMAG)
- ICOSSAR Lecture Award
- Best Engineering. Book of the Year (Association of American Publishers)
- Publication Merit Award (SEAOI)
- Outstanding paper award (REILM)
- Elected a Foreign Member of the Royal Society (ForMemRS) in 2015
- In 2015, ASCE established Z.P. Bazant Medal for Failure and Damage Prevention
- Bažant, Zdeněk P. (2002). Scaling of Structural Strength. London: Hermes Penton Science. ISBN 1-56032-984-X.
- Bundesen, LQ (2004). "Biography of Zdeněk P. Bažant". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 101 (37): 13397–9. doi:10.1073/pnas.0405856101. PMC . PMID 15353582.
- Bažant, Zdeněk P. (1966). Creep of Concrete in Structural Analysis. Prague: State Publishers of Technical Literature (SNTL).
- Bažant, Zdeněk P.; Luigi Cedolin (1991). Stability of Structures: Elastic, Inelastic, Fracture and Damage Theories. New York: Oxford University Press. pp. 1011 pages. ISBN 0-486-42568-1.
- Bažant, Zdeněk P.; Maurice F. Kaplan (1996). Concrete at High Temperatures: Material Properties and Mathematical Models. London: Longman (Addison-Wesley). pp. 412 pages. ISBN 0-582-08626-4.
- Bažant, Zdeněk P.; Jaime Planas (1998). Fracture and Size Effect in Concrete and Other Quasibrittle Materials. Boca Raton and London: CRC Press. pp. 616 pages. ISBN 0-8493-8284-X.
- Jirásek, Milan; Zdeněk P. Bažant (2002). Inelastic Analysis of Structures. London and New York: J. Wiley & Sons. pp. 735 pages.
- Bažant's list of publications: http://www.civil.northwestern.edu/people/bazant/PDFs/publicat.pdf
- J. P. Dempsey and G. Pijaudier-Cabot, Guest Editors (1998), Preface in “ Special Topics in Structural Mechanics of Geomaterials”, “A Volume in Honor of Professor Z. P. Bažant”, Special Issue of Int. J. of Solids & Structures 35 (31–32), 4019–4350.
- G. Pijaudier-Cabot, Z. Bittnár and Bruno Gérard, Editors (1999), Preface in “Mechanics of Quasi-Brittle Materials and Structures,” “A Volume in Honour of Professor Z.P. Bažant 's 60th Birthday”, Hermes Science Publications, Paris (446 pp.).
- V. Červenka (2002). “Profesor Bažant becomes member of US National Academy of Sciences” (in Czech). Beton (Prague) 2 (5), p. 54.
- Editorial, “Prof. Bažant Visiting CTU (Czech Technical University) in Prague” (in Czech), Prazska Technika 2003 (No. 2), 10–11.
- S. Karlowski (2003), “Dr. Bažant receives the Structural Group Lifetime Achievement Award”, ASCE Illinois Section News, Vo. 44 (6), 2003, pp. 1 and 4.
- C. Kisor (2003), “Tough Shoulders”. Pilot (Evanston Northwestern Healthcare) 67 (2), 10–11.
- V. Křístek (2005), “Prof. Ing. Z.P. Bažant, Ph.D., Dr.h.c.” (in Czech) Aula-Review of Academic and Science Policy (Prague) Vol. 13 (No. 2), 34–35.
- G.J. Dvorak, Guest Editor (2006), Preface and Special Issue in Honor of Professor Z.P. Bažant, Intern. Jour. of Fracture 137 (1–4), pp. 1–294.
- C.K.Y. Leung and K. Willam, Guest Editors (2007), Preface and Special Issue dedicated to Z.P. Bažant, Engineering Fracture Mechanics 74 (1–2), pp. 1–280 (20 papers).
- Ta-Peng Chang and Jenn-Chuan Chern (2007). Preface and Proc., Asian Special Workshop on Concrete Technology in Honor of the 70th Birthday of Prof. Z.P. Bažant,” National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Taipei, Nov. 2
- V. Křístek (2007). Prof. Z. P. Bažant 70 Year Anniversary (in Czech).” Beton (Prague), Vol. 7, No. 6 (Dec.), pp. 54–55.
- A13. Sarah Ostman, “Concrete Results” (Bažant ‘s life and achievements), McCormick Magazine, Fall 2012, Northwestern University, Evanston.
- A14. F.-J. Ulm, Preface and Tribute to Z.P. Bažant, Proc., CONCREEP-9 (9th Intern. Conf. on Creep, Shrinkage and Durability Mechanics of Concrete, held in 2014 at MIT, Cambridge); F.-J. Ulm, Editor, publ, by ASCE, Washington, D.C.
- Dvorak, George J.; White-Traut, R.; Studer, T.; Meleedy-Rey, P.; Murray, P.; Labovsky, S.; Kahn, J. (January–February 2006). "Preface to Special Issue In Honor of Professor Zdeněk P. Bažant" (PDF). International Journal of Fracture. 137 (1–4): 1–7. doi:10.1007/s10704-006-7350-4. PMID 12032792. Retrieved August 25, 2007.