Zionsville Community High School
|Zionsville Community High School|
View of the new ZCHS main entrance circa 2015
|1000 Mulberry Street
Zionsville, Indiana 46077
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Zionsville Community Schools|
|NCES District ID||1802830|
|NCES School ID||180283000341|
|Color(s)||Forest Green and Silver|
|Athletics conference||Hoosier Crossroads Conference|
Zionsville Community High School (ZCHS) is a 4-year public high school located in Boone County, Zionsville, Indiana, United States. The high school's current enrollment is approximately 2,200 students as of the 2016-2017 school year.
The high school was established in 1885 and graduated its first class in 1888. At that time it was located in the second-floor chapel of "The Academy", a small, brick, school house built in 1867 on Walnut Hill. Today, that site is the home of Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library. In 1910, it was commissioned as Eagle Township High School. The Chapel building was torn down in 1922 and replaced in 1924. The gymnasium was finished in 1925.
The school remained at that location until 1968 when the first section of the current building was erected on Whitestown Road. In 1970, the name was changed to Zionsville Community High School, when a new school corporation, Eagle-Union Community School Corporation, was formed by the merger of Eagle and Union township schools. The old Eagle Township High School buildings were torn down in 1978, with the exception of the gymnasium. Called the "Varsity Gym" the school continued to use it as the home court of the boys basketball teams into the 1990s. It was torn down to make space for the library's expansion. The main portion of the high school was completed in October 1977.
In 1998 the new varsity gym, located at the Whitestown Road site, opened its doors for the first time. In 2003, the new performing arts center opened. The freshman center and aquatics center opened in 2005. At the end of the 2009 football season, the original football stadium was torn down and a new multi-purpose stadium opened in 2010. A new sports complex was completed with soccer and baseball fields on a different site in 2011.
Indiana High School Athletic Association state championships:
Indiana Percussion Association state championships:
- Philip M. Bilden - 1982 - private equity investor in Asia
- A. J. Corrado - 2010 - former professional soccer player for the Indy Eleven
- Bill Hodges - 1961 - former Indiana State University men's basketball coach
- Dylan Mares - 2010 - professional soccer player for the Indy Eleven
- Tom Mastny - 1999 - former professional baseball player for the Cleveland Indians
- Cory Miller - 2006 - professional soccer player for the Indy Eleven
- Kendall Phillips - 2007 - Country music singer
- Nathan Sprenkel - 2009 - former professional soccer player for the Indy Eleven
- Brad Stevens - 1995 - Current Boston Celtics head coach; former Butler University men's basketball coach
- Kelly Williamson - 1996 - Triathlete
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Zionsville Community Schools". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Zionsville Community High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 6 February 2012.
- "About Us". Zionsville Community Schools. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "ZCHS Profile 2016-17" (PDF). Zionsville Community Schools. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- Lyons, Joan. "First Eagle Township school was in a squatter's cabin" (PDF). Past Times Archives at Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- Lyons, Joan. "The Village Heritage". Zionsville Chamber of Commerce. Archived from the original on December 22, 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- IHSAA Boys Football State Champions
- IHSAA Boys Golf State Champions
- IHSAA Boys Soccer State Champions
- "Zionsville Indoor Percussion wins state title". Current in Zionsville. 31 March 2015. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "2015 State Championship Results". Indiana Percussion Association. 21 March 2015. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- "2016 State Championship Results". Indiana Percussion Association. 2 April 2016. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- "INQBlots history". Indiana Quiz Bowl. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "National Academic Championship results and history". Questions Unlimited. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "National Academic Championship highlights.". www.qunlimited.com. Retrieved 2017-06-27.
- Pearl, Elizabeth (January 28, 2017). "Navy Secretary pick is a Zionsville grad". The Lebanon Reporter. Retrieved 2017-01-31.
- "Nathan Sprenkel". Duquesne University. Retrieved 2015-08-02.