13 November 1926|
Prijepolje, Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (present-day Serbia)
|Died||17 February 2001
|Service/branch|| SFR Yugoslav Air Force
|Rank||Staff General (stožerni general)|
|Commands held||General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Croatia|
|Awards||Grand Order of King Petar Krešimir IV
Order of Duke Domagoj
Order of Ban Jelačić
|Other work||Member of Parliament|
Zvonimir Červenko (13 November 1926 – 17 February 2001) was a Croatian general and the chief of General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Croatia between 1995 and 1996.
During the Croatian Spring in the 1970s, he was a lieutenant colonel, and became involved by advocating Croatian interests. After the government crackdown, he was sentenced to 18 months in prison with rank and right to pension both withdrawn. Until 1990 he worked as bill collector for RTV Zagreb.
Croatian War of Independence
At the beginning of the Croatian War of Independence, president of the Republic of Croatia offered him the position of the minister of defence, but Červenko refused saying "I'm a soldier, not politician". He organized the defence of Zagreb, the blockade of enemy barracks, and started the process of forming 14 brigades in Zagreb.
In January 1992, Červenko became the commander of Croatian Home Guard (Domobranstvo), thus becoming deputy of chief of General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Croatia.
The top of his military career came just before the Operation Storm, when he succeeded Janko Bobetko in the position of Chief of General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Croatia. He served as Chief of General Staff from 15 July 1995 until 16 November 1996. During his command, the Croatian Army executed the most successful operation of the war, Operation Storm. President Tuđman retired him in November 1996.
- Grand Order of King Petar Krešimir IV,
- Order of Duke Domagoj,
- Order of Ban Jelačić,
- Order of the Croatian Trefoil,
- Order of the Croatian Interlace,
- Commemorative Medal of the Homeland War,
- Medal for Participation in Operation "Flash"
- Medal for Participation in Operation "Summer '95"
- Medal for Participation in Operation "Storm"
- "Vremeplov - Umro general Červenko". Hrvatski vojnik #175 (in Croatian). February 2008. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "Posljednji ispraćaj generala Zvonimira Červenka" (in Croatian). Croatian Radiotelevision. 2001-02-21. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "Odluka kojom se odlikuju redom kneza Domagoja s ogrlicom" (in Croatian). Narodne novine. 1995-05-26. Retrieved 2011-02-27.