11th Tony Awards
|11th Tony Awards|
|Date||April 21, 1957|
New York City, New York
Presenters: Faye Emerson, Tom Ewell, Lillian Gish, Helen Hayes, Nancy Kelly, Bert Lahr, Beatrice Lillie, Nancy Olson, Elaine Perry, Cliff Robertson, Cornelia Otis Skinner.
Performers were George Gaines and Michael King. Music was by Meyer Davis and his Orchestra.
Due to a union dispute, there was no television broadcast, which had been scheduled for WCBS-TV Channel 2.
Winners and nominees
Winners are in bold
- Long Day's Journey Into Night by Eugene O'Neill. Produced by Leigh Connell, Theodore Mann, and Jose Quintero.
- Separate Tables by Terence Rattigan. Produced by The Producers Theatre and Hecht-Lancaster.
- The Potting Shed by Graham Greene. Produced by Carmen Capalbo and Stanley Chase.
- The Waltz of the Toreadors by Jean Anouilh, translated by Lucienne Hill. Produced by The Producers Theatre (Robert Whitehead)
- My Fair Lady. Book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner, music by Frederick Loewe. Produced by Herman Levin.
- Bells Are Ringing. Book and lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, music by Jule Styne. Produced by The Theatre Guild.
- Candide. Book by Lillian Hellman, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Richard Wilbur. Produced by Ethel Linder Reiner in association with Lester Osterman, Jr.
- The Most Happy Fella. Book, music, and lyrics by Frank Loesser. Produced by Kermit Bloomgarden and Lynn Loesser.
- Fredric March (Long Day's Journey Into Night)
- Maurice Evans (The Apple Cart)
- Wilfred Hyde-White (The Reluctant Debutante)
- Eric Portman (Separate Tables)
- Ralph Richardson (The Waltz Of The Toreadors)
- Cyril Ritchard (A Visit To A Small Planet)
- Margaret Leighton (Separate Tables)
- Florence Eldridge (Long Day's Journey Into Night)
- Rosalind Russell (Auntie Mame)
- Sybil Thorndike (The Potting Shed)
- Frank Conroy (The Potting Shed)
- Eddie Mayehoff (A Visit To A Small Planet)
- William Podmore (Separate Tables)
- Jason Robards, Jr. (Long Day's Journey Into Night)
- Peggy Cass (Auntie Mame)
- Anna Massey (The Reluctant Debutante)
- Beryl Measor (Separate Tables)
- Mildred Natwick (The Waltz Of The Toreadors)
- Phyllis Neilson-Terry (Separate Tables)
- Diana Van der Vlis (The Happiest Millionaire)
- Edith Adams (Li'l Abner)
- Virginia Gibson (Happy Hunting)
- Irra Petina (Candide)
- Jo Sullivan (The Most Happy Fella)
- Moss Hart (My Fair Lady)
- Joseph Anthony (A Clearing in the Woods / The Most Happy Fella)
- Harold Clurman (The Waltz of the Toreadors)
- Peter Glenville (Separate Tables)
- Jose Quintero (Long Day's Journey Into Night)
- Michael Kidd (Li'l Abner)
- Hanya Holm (My Fair Lady)
- Dania Krupska (The Most Happy Fella)
- Jerome Robbins and Bob Fosse (Bells Are Ringing)
- Oliver Smith (My Fair Lady)
- Boris Aronson (A Hole In The Head / Small War on Murray Hill)
- Ben Edwards (The Waltz Of The Toreadors)
- George Jenkins (The Happiest Millionaire / Too Late The Phalarope)
- Donald Oenslager (Major Barbara)
- Oliver Smith (A Clearing in the Woods / Candide / Auntie Mame / My Fair Lady / Eugenia / A Visit to A Small Planet)
- Cecil Beaton (My Fair Lady)
- Cecil Beaton (Little Glass Clock / My Fair Lady)
- Alvin Colt (Li'l Abner / The Sleeping Prince)
- Dorothy Jeakins (Major Barbara / Too Late The Phalarope)
- Irene Sharaff (Candide / Happy Hunting / Shangri La / Small War on Murray Hill)
- Howard McDonald (posthumous), carpenter, Major Barbara
- Thomas Fitzgerald, sound man, Long Day's Journey Into Night
- Joseph Harbuck, carpenter, Auntie Mame.
-  The American Theatre Wing Tony Awards