1968 Buffalo Bills season
|1968 Buffalo Bills season|
|Head coach||Joe Collier and Harvey Johnson|
|Home field||War Memorial Stadium|
|Division place||5th AFL Eastern|
|Playoff finish||did not qualify|
The Bills' 1-12-1 record in 1968 (a 0.107 winning percentage) is the second-worst in team history: the 1971 Bills went 1-13. They were one of only two teams in AFL history (the other being the 1962 Oakland Raiders) to finish the season with only one victory.
The Bills, coming off a 4-10 season in 1967, fired coach Joe Collier after an 0-2 start in 1968. Defensive backfield coach Harvey Johnson was promoted to interim head coach, where he went 1-10-1 to finish the year.
The majority of Buffalo's games were started by backup quarterback Dan Darragh, after injuries claimed the seasons of long-time starter Jack Kemp and new addition Tom Flores. Even Darragh and new addition Kay Stephenson were injured. Ultimately, running back Ed Rutkowski, who hadn't played the quarterback position since college six years prior, ended up starting at quarterback for the Bills.
Buffalo's only win of the season was a home victory over the New York Jets, in which the Bills held a 16-point lead in the fourth quarter before giving up two late touchdowns to the Jets. Ultimately, the Bills were able to hold onto the two-point win.
- August 24: Bills sign fullback Wayne Patrick.
- August 27: Bills acquire quarterback (and future Bills head coach) Kay Stephenson from the San Diego Chargers for a Fifth Round Pick.
- August 28: Bills acquire fullback Bob Cappadona from the Boston Patriots for a ninth round draft pick.
- September 2: The Bills cut running backs Wray Carlton and Ed Rutkowski, tight end Charley Ferguson and defensive tackle Dudley Meredith.
|August 5||Detroit Lions||13–9 ||Win||1–0|
|August 11||Miami Dolphins||28–28||Tie||1–0–1|
|August 17||Cincinnati Bengals||10–6 ||Loss||1–1–1|
|August 23||Houston Oilers||37–7 ||Loss||1–2–1|
|August 30||Cleveland Browns||22–12||Loss||1–3–1|
|*New York Jets||11||3||0||.786||419||280|
|September 8||Boston Patriots||16-7||Loss||0–1||
|September 15||Oakland Raiders||48–6||Loss||0–2||
|September 22||at Cincinnati Bengals||34-23||Loss||0–3||
|September 29||New York Jets||37-35||Win||1–3||
|October 5||Kansas City Chiefs||18-7||Loss||1–4||
|October 12||at Miami Dolphins||14-14||Tie||1-4-1||
|October 20||at Boston Patriots||23-6||Loss||1-5-1||
|October 27||Houston Oilers||30-7||Loss||1-6-1||
|November 3||at New York Jets||25-21||Loss||1-7-1||
|November 10||Miami Dolphins||21-17||Loss||1–8-1||
|November 17||San Diego Chargers||21-6||Loss||1-9-1||
|November 24||at Denver Broncos||34-32||Loss||1-10-1||
|November 28||at Oakland Raiders||13-10||Loss||1-11-1||
|December 7||at Houston Oilers||35-6||Loss||1-12-1||
Buffalo Bills roster
Awards and Records
- Johnson would be promoted to head coach again before the 1971 season
- Johnson resumed his defensive coaching duties under John Rauch in 1969, but would later be promoted to head coach again for one year in 1971.
- Rockin’ the Rockpile: The Buffalo Bills of the American Football League, p.393, Jeffrey J. Miller, ECW Press, 2007, ISBN 978-1-55022-797-0
- [Neft, David S.; Cohen, Richard M.; and Korch, Rich The Sports Encyclopedia: Pro Football, 12th Edition, p.144, Martin's Press, August 1994, ISBN 0-312-11073-1
- Pro-Football-Reference: New York Jets 35 at Buffalo Bills 37, Sunday, September 29, 1968
- Rockin’ the Rockpile: The Buffalo Bills of the American Football League, p.392, Jeffrey J. Miller, ECW Press, 2007, ISBN 978-1-55022-797-0
- Rockin’ the Rockpile: The Buffalo Bills of the American Football League, p.389, Jeffrey J. Miller, ECW Press, 2007, ISBN 978-1-55022-797-0
- Rockin’ the Rockpile: The Buffalo Bills of the American Football League, p.391, Jeffrey J. Miller, ECW Press, 2007, ISBN 978-1-55022-797-0
- NFL 2001 Record and Fact Book, Workman Publishing Co, New York,NY, ISBN 0-7611-2480-2, p. 298
- Rockin’ the Rockpile: The Buffalo Bills of the American Football League, p.513, Jeffrey J. Miller, ECW Press, 2007, ISBN 978-1-55022-797-0