|6th President of the Maldives|
17 November 2013
|Vice President||Mohamed Jameel Ahmed|
|Preceded by||Mohammed Waheed Hassan|
|Born||Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom
21 May 1959
|Political party||Progressive Party|
|Alma mater||American University of Beirut
Claremont Graduate University
Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom (Dhivehi: އަބްދުﷲ ޔާމީން އަބްދުލް ގައްޔޫމް) is the 6th and current President of the Republic of Maldives. He had been the Minority Leader of the People's Majlis, the legislature of the Maldives as an elected Member of Parliament for four successive terms from 1993 onwards. He has represented constituencies in Meemu and Noonu atolls.
In addition to his political career, Yameen spent a large part of his life as a community organizer in Machchangolhi Ward an administrative district of Male’, Maldives) where he was raised. During his tenure as Machchangolhi Ward Chief, the district was recognized for hosting popular cultural events and for the high quality of education provided by community-based private school Ahmadiyya. After a few years in People’s Alliance (PA), a political party he helped form, Yameen left to join the Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) in 2010. He has served as the head of PPM’s Parliamentary Group since the party’s formation and currently occupies the post after being elected to it at PPM’s first Congress held between January 17 and 19, 2013. Yameen won the Maldivian presidential election, 2013.
Early life and education
Yameen was born on 21 May 1959, in the capital city of Malé, the Republic of Maldives. His father is Abdul Qayyoom Ibrahim, a former Attorney General. His elder brother Maumoon Abdul Gayyoom served as President of the Maldives between 1978 and 2008. Yameen got his primary and secondary schooling in Maldives at Majeediyya School. After completing his higher secondary education, Yameen pursued higher studies in Beirut, Lebanon where he received his Bachelors in Business Administration from the American University of Beirut. Yameen later completed postgraduate studies in the field of Public policy at the Claremont Graduate University in California, United States.
- "Maldives swears in new president". Al-Jazeera. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Yameen sworn in as president of the Maldives". BBC World News. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "ރައްޔިތުންގެ މަޖިލިސް". Majlis.gov.mv. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Progressive Party of Maldives - Official Website - Dhivehi". Ppm.mv. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- Abdulla Yameen sworn in as new Maldivian president at The Times of India
- Yameen sworn in as president of the Maldives at BBC
- Maldivian president Abdulla Yameen inaugurated after Mohamed Nasheed's shock defeat at ABC News (Australia)
- Abdullah Yameen topples favorite in Maldives election at Deutsche Welle
Mohammed Waheed Hassan
|President of the Maldives