|Born||Allegra Beck Versace
30 June 1986
|Education||Sir James Henderson School|
|Alma mater||Brown University
|Relatives||Gianni Versace (uncle)|
Early life and education
Versace is the daughter of designer Donatella Versace and ex-fashion model Paul Beck. Raised outside Milan along with her younger brother, Daniel, Allegra was described as a "serious, sensible and bright" child, "with her hair in pigtails and her nose in a history book." Through her uncle Santo, she has two first cousins: Francesca, a fashion designer and charitable socialite, and Antonio.
She was the favored niece of designer Gianni Versace and was eleven years old when he was fatally shot outside of his Miami home in July 1997. Her uncle left her 50% of his fashion empire in his will. On her 18th birthday, she received control of her 50% ownership of Gianni Versace S.p.A.
She divides her time between her mother's home in Milan, her cousin Antonio's SoHo apartment in New York City, and Los Angeles. In March 2007, her mother, Donatella, released a statement that her daughter was in treatment for anorexia.. Referring to her bout with anorexia, she told la Repubblica: "I call this my period of absence. I was lost in other thoughts and couldn't confront reality, with my eyes shielded from everything. Above all, I wanted one thing - to be no one, to not be recognised, not be hunted down."
- Emami, Gazelle; Moss, Hilary. Allegra Versace Talks Anorexia, Making A Name For Herself In Fashion, The Huffington Post, 8 June 2011; accessed 12 May 2012.
- Ginsberg, Merle (March 2007). "Exclusive: Donatella & Allegra". Harper's Bazaar. p. 452. Retrieved 24 December 2009.
- Guest, Katy. "Poor little super rich kids", The Age, 20 July 2004; accessed 13 August 2011.
- Dehn, Georgia. "World of Francesca Versace, fashion designer", Daily Telegraph, 10 September 2009; accessed 13 August 2011.
- Langley, William. "Versace: The First Family of Fashion", Daily Telegraph, 30 September 2007; accessed 13 August 2011.
- "Versace niece's $700m birthday gift". smh.com.au. 2 July 2004.
- "Wealthy 'princess' marks coming of age". Daily Telegraph. 2 July 2001.
- Hellard, Peta (1 April 2007). "Saddest girl in the world". The Sunday Herald Sun. Quote: "late last year she shifted to Los Angeles to study acting, French and art history at a Californian university, UCLA."
- Laurance, Jeremy. "Allegra and the curse of anorexia", Irish Independent, 30 March 2007; accessed 12 May 2012.
- Fashion Legend's Girl Has Anorexia, Sky News, 28 March 2007; accessed 12 May 2012.
- Hammel, Sara; Jessen, Monique. "Allegra Versace Undergoing Treatment for Anorexia", People Magazine, 28 March 2007; accessed 13 August 2011.
- Milligan, Lauren. Allegra on Gianni, Vogue, 7 June 2011; accessed 12 May 2012.