Alyssa Reid performing at the 2011 Calgary Stampede
|Birth name||Alyssa Ashley Reid|
March 15, 1993 |
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
|Origin||Brampton, Ontario, Canada|
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, musician, student|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, guitar, bass|
|Associated acts||P. Reign, Jump Smokers, Jesse Labelle, Snoop Dogg, Emily Osment, Neverest, Hedley, JRDN, Virginia to Vegas|
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Discography
- 5 Singles
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Alyssa Reid was born in Edmonton, Alberta on March 15, 1993 and raised in Brampton, Ontario. Reid wrote her first song at the age of 7 and started vocal lessons at the age of 9. From this early age, she has continued to work to develop her voice into what has today become a singular vocal style.
2008: "The Next Star"
On July 18, 2008, Reid began her career by appearing on the first season of YTV's singing competition The Next Star at age 15. Although she was one of the top 6 finalists and performed at the show's finale, she ultimately didn't win the competition. Her original song was "Gonna Make You Dance."
2010–2011: Career beginnings and "The Game"
Reid was soon discovered by writer, producer, and Wax Records co-founder Jamie Appleby, who signed her to his label after finding a parody of Justin Bieber's "One Less Lonely Girl" (titled "One Less Lonely Boy") that she had posted on YouTube, which went viral.
Her single "Alone Again" featuring P. Reign, released in November 2010, uses lyrics from Heart's 1987 hit "Alone", and was co-written with Wax Records label owner Jamie Appleby, with the original 'Heart' writers Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly. The song entered the Canadian Hot 100 at #79 for the week of January 1, 2011 and peaked at #11 the week of April 23, 2011. As of the week of September 24, 2011, the single has spent 39 weeks on the chart. It has on to be CRIA certified double platinum in Canada and sold over a million copies around the world.
In February 2011 she reached #1 on Billboard's "Canadian Emerging Artist" chart and held there for a record breaking 33 weeks straight. Her single "The Game" was released on May 31, 2011 and entered the Canadian Hot 100 at #89 for the week of August 3, 2011, peaking at #35 as of the week of September 24, 2011. In February 2012, "Alone Again" debuted at #2 on the charts in the United Kingdom.
On April 27, 2011 she performed her debuted track Alone Again at Chester University, along with several other covers such as Gotye.
Reid was nominated for a 2011 MuchMusic Video Award for Pop Video of the Year for "Alone Again". Alyssa's first ever visit to the UK involved in a series of interviews with BBC Radio One, Capital FM and a live interview with Fame Factor TV.
The Game is the debut studio album recorded in 2010 and released on June 21, 2011 by Wax Records. Reid worked with composers and producers such as Billy Steinberg and Jamie Appleby. The album was released in the US as a digital download on May 7, 2013.
On July 20, 2011 Reid performed at The Baths Hall in Scunthorpe, England along with other acts for the Scunthorpe Telegraphs 75th Birthday and Lincs FMs 20th Birthday.
Reid performed at the 2012 Juno Awards on April 1, 2012, and was nominated in the "Best New Artist" category.
2011–present: Touring and "Time Bomb"
On October 1, 2011, Alyssa Reid began tour with Neverest for the Canadian Tour 2011. Reid started her first UK Tour in April 2012 by promoting her single “Alone Again”. During this time, Reid was also featured on Wax Records label-mate Jesse Labelle's 2012 single "Heartbreak Coverup".
On February 11, 2014, her second studio album Time Bomb was released. It features "Hurricane" (released in the same year), and her other two singles ("Running Guns" and "Satisfaction Guaranteed") that were released a year earlier. Starting on October 16, 2014, Reid will go across Canada for her The Time Bomb Tour, alongside label-mate Virginia To Vegas.
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions|
As lead artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications
|"If You Are"||2010||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Non-album single|
(featuring P. Reign)[A]
|"Talk Me Down"||2012||81||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Running Guns"||2013||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Time Bomb|
|"—" denotes a title that did not chart, or was not released in that territory.|
As featured artist
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
(Jesse Labelle featuring Alyssa Reid)
|46||—||—||MC : Gold||Two|
|2014||"We Are Stars"
(Virginia To Vegas featuring Alyssa Reid)
|14||13||14||MC: Gold||Non-album single|
|"—" denotes a title that did not chart, or was released before chart was instituted.|
Awards and nominations
|2011||MuchMusic Video Awards||"Alone Again"||Pop Video of the Year||Nominated|
|2012||MuchMusic Video Awards||"The Game"||Most Streamed Video of the Year||Nominated|
|Juno Awards||Herself||New Artist of the Year||Nominated|
|SOCAN Urban Music Award||"Alone Again"||Pop/Rock Music Awards||Won|
- ^[A] "Alone Again" was credited alongside featured artist P. Reign in all countries bar the United Kingdom, where Jump Smokers appeared as the featured artist.
- ^[B] "The Game" did not enter the Ultratop 50 but peaked at number 24 on the Flemish Ultratip chart (equivalent to a position of 74 on the Ultratop 50) and at number 19 on the Walloon Ultratip chart (equivalent to a position of 69 on the Ultratop 50).
- Goodfellow, Ashley (October 2, 2011). "Alyssa Reid plays free show at Rose". Brampton Guardian. Retrieved September 2, 2012.
- "After 3 years, I'm finally holding my second album in my hands. Feels SO good. #timebomb #feb11". Instagram. Alyssa Reid. 9 January 2014.
- "Alyssa Reid - Chart History". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Discografie Alyssa Reid". ultratop.be/nl/ Hung Medien.
- "Discographie Alyssa Reid". ultratop.be/fr/ Hung Medien.
- "Discography Alyssa Reid". irish-charts.com/ Hung Medien.
- "Discografie Alyssa Reid". dutchcharts.nl/ Hung Medien.
- "Scottish Chart Archive > Week Ending: February 11, 2012". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved April 8, 2012.
- "Alyssa Reid featuring Jump Smokers". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "If You Are (EP) : Alyssa Reid". Archambault. Quebecor Media. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Certification Search > Alyssa Reid". Music Canada. Retrieved April 8, 2012.
- "Running Guns - Single by Alyssa Reid". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- http://instagram.com/p/nzKk4lGqHj/. Missing or empty
- "Alyssa Reid “Hurricane” (Video Premiere)". josepvinaixa. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- Canadian Hot 100 featured singles references:
- "Chart Search: 'Alyssa Reid' + 'Canada AC'". Billboard Biz. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Chart Search: 'Alyssa Reid' + 'Canada Hot AC'". Billboard Biz. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Canadian single certifications – Jesse Labelle – Heartbreak Coverup". Music Canada. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- http://popdust.com/2014/06/13/listen-virginia-vegas-releases-new-single-colourful/. Missing or empty
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alyssa Reid.|