Pierre David Guetta (born November 7, 1967), better known under his stage name David Guetta, is a French house DJ and producer. Originally a DJ at nightclubs during the 1980s and 1990s, he co-founded Gum Productions and released his first album, Just a Little More Love, in 2002. Later, he released Guetta Blaster (2004) and Pop Life (2007).
Guetta achieved mainstream success with his 2009 album One Love which included the hit singles "When Love Takes Over", "Gettin' Over You", "Sexy Bitch", all three of which reached #1 in the United Kingdom, and "Memories". The 2011 followup album, Nothing but the Beat, continued this success, containing the hit singles "Where Them Girls At", "Little Bad Girl", "Without You", "Titanium" and "Turn Me On".
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Discography
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
David Guetta was born in France in 1967. Guetta played in clubs including Le Centrale, the Rex, Le Boy, and Folies. Released in 1994 Guetta's second single, a collaboration with American house vocalist Robert Owens titled "Up & Away", was a minor club hit. In 1994, David Guetta became the manager of Le Palace nightclub and he continued to organise parties there and in other clubs, such as the "Scream" parties in Les Bains Douches.
2001–2006: Just a Little More Love and Guetta Blaster
In 2001, David Guetta along with Joachim Garraud founded Gum Productions, and in the same year Guetta's first hit single, "Just A Little More Love", featuring American singer Chris Willis was released. Willis was vacationing in France when he met Guetta. Guetta's debut album Just A Little More Love was released in 2002 on Virgin Records and sold over 300,000 copies. The follow-up singles, ("Love Don't Let Me Go", "People Come People Go" and "Give Me Something"), were released in 2002. Guetta released a compilation, F*ck Me I'm Famous, in 2003, named after his party in Ibiza. It included "Just for One Day (Heroes)", a remix of David Bowie's song "Heroes". Later in his career, Guetta continued recording compilations under that title. i was here lol
Guetta's second album, Guetta Blaster, was released in 2004. It released four singles: "Money" and "Stay" featuring Chris Willis and "The World Is Mine" and "In Love With Myself" featuring JD Davis. In 2006 the Just a Little More Love single "Love Don't Let Me Go" was re-released as a mash-up with the Tocadisco remix of "Walking Away" by The Egg. The mash-up single entitled "Love Don't Let Me Go (Walking Away)" was charted higher than the original release of the song.
2007–09: Pop Life
In 2007, Guetta's third album Pop Life was released. The album was successful in the UK and Ireland as well as in mainland Europe. According to EMI in 2010, the album has sold a total of 530,000 copies worldwide. The lead single "Love Is Gone" reached Number 1 on the American Dance Chart and charted on the Billboard Hot 100.
"Delirious" featured the vocals of Tara McDonald who also co wrote the record. The song was released as the album's fourth single on January 31, 2008. The song charted #27 Austrian singles chart, #17 Belgian (Flanders) chart, #2 Belgian (Wallonia) singles chart. #12 Dutch singles chart, #16 French singles chart, #16 Swiss singles chart, #36 Hungary singles chart, #29 Romanian singles chart, #51 Swedish singles chart. The remixes of the song, including mixes by Fred Rister, Marc Mysterio, Laidback Luke, and Arno Cost and Norman Doray were released. A video clip for the song was filmed by Denys Thibaut in Montreal, featuring David Guetta and Tara McDonald, picturing an executive assistant throwing paint all over her boss's office. Tara McDonald was the ever vocalist that David Guetta ever featured in the video clip. Tara McDonald also sang "You're Not Alone" from this album.
He played in many countries around the world to promote the album. He played in Mauritius in January 2008, accompanied by French rapper JoeyStarr. In the same year, he and his wife Cathy also planned a new event which took place in the Stade de France on 5 July 2008. The event was called "UNIGHTED", he performed with Tiësto, Carl Cox, Joachim Garraud and Martin Solveig in front of a crowd of 40,000.
In 2009, he was placed third in the "Top 100 DJs" poll by DJ Magazine, and was elected "Best House DJ" by DJ Awards in 2008. Since April 2009, Guetta had his own radio show on the internet radio station RauteMusik on Saturday evening. The show was afterwards moved into Radio 538, being aired every Friday evening after Tiësto's Club Life.
2009–2010: One Love and international breakthrough
David Guetta's fourth studio album, One Love, was released in August 2009. Its first single "When Love Takes Over", which featured Kelly Rowland, peaked at #1 on the UK Singles Chart and topped many other countries worldwide. His second single from the album, "Sexy Bitch" featuring Akon, became his second #1 in the UK. "One Love" featuring Estelle, "Memories" featuring Kid Cudi, "Revolver" featuring Madonna and Lil Wayne, and "Gettin' Over You" featuring Chris Willis, Fergie and LMFAO followed. As of May 2011 the album had sold three million copies worldwide. Guetta's fourth studio album One Love was nominated as "Best Electronic/Dance Album" at the 52nd Grammy Awards. His song "When Love Takes Over" featuring American R&B singer Kelly Rowland received two nominations; Best Dance Recording and Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical, and won the latter. After conflicts over whether or not an album re-issue should go ahead, One More Love was released on 29 November 2010. First single, titled "Who's That Chick?" featuring Rihanna was released a few weeks prior.
On 16 June 2009, The Black Eyed Peas released the David Guetta-produced "I Gotta Feeling" as their second single from their fifth studio album, The E.N.D.. It became a worldwide hit topping the charts in seventeen countries. It became the most downloaded song of all-time in the United States with almost 7.5 million downloads and in the United Kingdom selling more than 1 million copies. He was nominated twice for his work with The Black Eyed Peas at the 52nd Grammy Awards; in the category Record of the Year for "I Gotta Feeling" and Album of the Year for their album The E.N.D.. In 2010, David Guetta co-wrote and produced Kelly Rowland's "Commander" from her third album Here I Am. It peaked at number one on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Songs chart in the United States, and reached top ten positions in Belgium and the United Kingdom. Guetta has also co-produced "Forever and a Day", which was Kelly's next UK single from that album. Guetta also produced the singles "Acapella" and "Scream" for American singer-songwriter Kelis's fifth studio album, Flesh Tone, released on 14 May 2010. "Acapella" was released as the lead single on 23 February 2010 and topped the dance charts in the United Kingdom and United States. On 28 June 2010 American rapper Flo Rida released the single "Club Can't Handle Me" featuring David Guetta. The song is included on the soundtrack album to the American 3D dance film Step Up 3D.
2011–12: Nothing but the Beat and Jack Back Records
Guetta's fifth studio album, Nothing But The Beat was released on 30 August 2011. It was released as a double-disc album; one disc being vocal and the other being electronic. Guetta was inspired by rock bands such as Kings of Leon and Coldplay to add rock influences to his dance productions. "Where Them Girls At" featuring Flo Rida and Nicki Minaj, the first single off the album, was released worldwide on 2 May 2011. "Little Bad Girl", with Taio Cruz and Ludacris, was released as the second single on 28 June 2011. The third single, "Without You" with Usher, was released on 27 September 2011. David has also released four promotional singles for Nothing But the Beat which were "Titanium" with Sia, "Lunar" with Afrojack, "Night of Your Life" with Jennifer Hudson and The Alphabeat (song). The album also features the hit singles "Sweat" with Snoop Dogg and "Turn Me On" with Nicki Minaj.
A re-release of Nothing but the Beat, titled Nothing but the Beat 2.0, was released on September 7, 2012. The first single from the album, "She Wolf (Falling to Pieces)", which saw Guetta collaborate with Sia yet again, was released in support of the album. The next single off Nothing But The Beat 2.0 has been confirmed by Guetta as "Just One Last Time" which features vocals from Swedish duo Taped Rai. In 2012, Guetta also made an album named Nothing But The Beat: Ultimate, which combined the two albums Nothing But The Beat and Nothing But The Beat 2.0 together. Summer 2012 David Guetta played in Finland in Weekend Festival and he will be festival's headliner also for year 2013. The third single from Nothing but the Beat 2.0 is "Play Hard"
Nothing But the Beat is also a feature-length biographical documentary about David Guetta and his rise to fame, featuring many of his collaborators, including Kelly Rowland, will.i.am and Snoop Dogg. It was made in collaboration with the energy drink, burn, with whom Guetta became a brand ambassador from 2011. Together with burn, Guetta also provided support and mentoring for the burn-sponsored "burn studios residency" program for up-and-coming DJs.
In 2012, Guetta created a new record label known as Jack Back Records (named after whom he has collaborated with in the song "Wild One Two"), where he intends to focus only on electronic music releases (compared to the dance pop style he's most known for). The premiere release of the new label was his collaboration with Nicky Romero, "Metropolis", which is also a track from Nothing but the Beat 2.0. The label also included releases from the likes of Daddy's Groove and a two-track EP from production duo Spencer & Hill. Jack Back's involvement with the label is unknown. All of the label's releases can be found on Beatport.
2013-present: Lovers on the Sun EP and upcoming sixth studio album
Whilst on tour with Rihanna, he debuted his new track at Twickenham Stadium on 15 June 2013. David Guetta stated "Twickenham, I hope you like this new track, it's brand new and you're the first people in the world to hear it." The single, called "Ain't a Party", was released on July 8, 2013. It is a collaboration between GLOWINTHEDARK and Harrison. Guetta released the artwork for his new single on his Instagram profile on 19 June 2013.
On September 26, 2013, Guetta unveiled the music video for new track "One Voice" featuring indie singer Mikky Ekko. It will be released on November 4 as part of the UN's humanitarian campaign called The World Needs More.
Guetta co-wrote and produced the song "Fashion!" on Lady Gaga's third studio album Artpop. He also had songwriting and production contributions to Britney Spears' eighth studio album Britney Jean. On January 20, 2014, Guetta released his new single "Shot Me Down" featuring American singer Skylar Grey. It is an adaption of the Nancy Sinatra song "Bang Bang". The song is co-produced by Giorgio Tuinfort.
On February 25, 2014, Guetta released a remix of Avicii's track "Addicted to You" on Beatport. On March 17, 2014, he released "BAD", a collaboration with Showtek and Vassy, on Jack Back Records. On April 15, 2014, he released his remix of Afrojack's single "Ten Feet Tall".
On June 30, 2014, Guetta released a four-track EP Lovers on the Sun, which contains the songs "Shot Me Down" with Skylar Grey, "Bad" with Showtek, "Blast Off" with Kaz James, and "Lovers on the Sun" an unreleased track with Sam Martin.
Guetta married socialite and night club manager Cathy Guetta in 1992. They have two children: son Tim Elvis Eric (born February 9, 2004) and daughter Angie (born September 23, 2007). After twenty-two years of marriage, the Guettas filed for divorce by a Paris court in March 2014.
- Studio albums
- Just a Little More Love (2002)
- Guetta Blaster (2004)
- Pop Life (2007)
- One Love (2009)
- One More Love (2010)
- Nothing but the Beat (2011)
- Nothing but the Beat 2.0 (2012)
- "ACE Title Search - Works written by: GUETTA PIERRE DAVID". ASCAP. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- Otter, Charlotte (22 October 2010). "F*** Me I'm Famous goes global". Music Week. Archived from the original on 2012-01-17. Retrieved 23 October 2010.
- Loben, Carl. "DJ Mag Top 100 DJs". DJ Mag. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "David Guetta". Ultra Music. Retrieved 29 December 2009.
- D'Alguerre, Benjamin. "David Guetta: Bio complète" (in French). MTV France. Retrieved 29 December 2009.
- David Guetta Discography discogs.com
- Jeffries, David (2008). "David Guetta: Biography". Retrieved 29 December 2009.
- "David Guetta Artist Profile". wantickets.com. Retrieved 29 December 2009.
- "UNIGHTED Energized by Burn Intense Energy and Cathy Guetta". Unightedbycathyguetta.com. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "DJ Mag – Top 100 DJs". Djmag.com. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "David Guetta confirms new single and album | EMI Music". EMI. 5 May 2011. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "The 52nd Annual Grammy Awards Nominees List" (PDF). Grammy Award. National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "Rihanna, Doritos Unveil Interactive Musical Experience for Fans Worldwide; Features Debut of New... – PLANO, Texas, 19 Oct. /PRNewswire/". Texas: Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- Whitworth, Dan (21 June 2010). "Black Eyed Peas set downloads record". BBC News. Retrieved 14 August 2010.
- Mason, Kerri (15 August 2010). "David Guetta: Inside His Latest Hit Parade, 'Nothin But the Beat'". Billboard.com. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- Posted By: Sam (18 August 2010). "Exclusive: Kelly Rowland – ‘Forever And A Day’ (New UK Single) | ..::That Grape Juice // ThatGrapeJuice.net::.. || Thirsty?". Thatgrapejuice.net. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "YouTube – Kelly Rowland | Interview for Kelly's Official German site P2/2 | June 2010". Youtube.com. 29 July 2010. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "David Guetta Bio, Music, News & Shows". DJZ.com. Retrieved March 7, 2013.
- "David Guetta Announces New Album "Nothing But the Beat" | Astralwerks". Astralwerks. 22 June 2011. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- "DAVID GUETTA INSPIRED BY KINGS OF LEON". Daily Star. 23 August 2010.
- Graff, Gary (10 May 2011). "David Guetta Teams with Flo Rida and Nicki Minaj for 'Where Them Girls At'". Billboard (Detroit: Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- Cochrane, Greg (4 May 2011). "David Guetta employs 'investigator' over song theft". Newsbeat (BBC News). Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- Corner, Lewis (10 May 2011). "David Guetta confirms next single – Music News – Digital Spy". Digital Spy. Hachette Filipacchi UK. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "David Guetta". Alexandra Palace.
- "A burn Production: David Guetta 'Nothing But The Beat' - Full movie". YouTube. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- "burn studios residency 2012 - David Guetta Masterclass". YouTube. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- "Interview: David Guetta talks about his electronic label "Jack Back Records"". houseplanet.dj. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "David Guetta announces new electronic label". inthemix. Katie Cunningham. 27 March 2012.
- Jack Back Records
- "Jack Back Records". Beatport.
- "Tomorrowland heeft een headliner te pakken" [Tomorrowland has a headliner deal]. Clint.be (in Dutch). 21 February 2011. Retrieved 22 September 2011. "David Guetta, the French house, who accidentally has another important link with Belgium - his mother is Belgian"
- Mas, Isabelle (1 April 2002). "Mon moteur, c'est la musique et le plaisir". L'expansion.com (in French) (L'express.fr). Retrieved 29 December 2009.
- "David Guetta ook dit jaar op Tomorrowland" [David Guetta this year also in Tomorrowland]. Knack (in Dutch). 22 February 2011. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- Robrecht van Goolen (23 October 2010). "Super DJ David Guetta gaf exclusieve show op Legendz in Luik" [DJ David Guetta gave an exclusive show at Legendz Liege]. Sterrennieuws (in Dutch). Retrieved 22 September 2011. "...de moeder van Guetta is afkomstig van Luik."
- "When Love Takes Over: David Guetta renews wedding vows as he celebrates 20-year-marriage to wife Cathy". London. Associated Press.[dead link]
- "Cathy et David Guetta à nouveau parents" (in French). Associated Press. 24 September 2007. Archived from the original on 25 September 2007.
- Blumm, K.C. (21 March 2014). "David Guetta and Wife Divorce After 22 Years". People. Retrieved 21 March 2014.