Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Elizabeth Allen|
|Produced by||Susan Cartsonis|
|Written by||Jessica Bendinger
by Alice Hoffman
|Music by||David Hirschfelder|
|Edited by||Jane Moran|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
Aquamarine is a 2006 Australian-American teen fantasy comedy film starring Sara Paxton, Emma Roberts, and Joanna "JoJo" Levesque (in her film debut). The film, which was made in both the United States and Australia, was released in North America on March 3, 2006. The film, loosely based on a children's book of the same name by Alice Hoffman, and directed by American director Elizabeth Allen was filmed in Queensland, Australia.
Two teenage best friends, Hailey Rogers (JoJo) and Claire Brown (Emma Roberts), regret that they will be separated in five days, since Hailey has to move to Australia because of her mother's (Claudia Karvan) job. One night, after a violent storm, Hailey wishes for a miracle that will make her mother change her mind about moving, and so they find a mermaid named Aquamarine (Sara Paxton) in the swimming pool of their beach club.
The mermaid tells the girls that she needs to prove to her father that love exists. She promised that if they helped the fish out, then they would get a wish. Feeling like this was their last hope, they introduced the mermaid to Raymond, so Aquamarine could possibly fall in love with him. The first time Aquamarine and Raymond meet, she asks him if he loves her, and was rejected. The three decide to make Raymond fall in love with Aquamarine in the next three days. They use strategies found in teenage magazines, and Aquamarine, Claire, and Hailey proceed to stalk Raymond around town. At a street fair, Raymond gives Aquamarine an inflatable shark, and buys her cotton candy. He mentions wanting to see her at a party the next night, and she runs away, fearing the sunset that causes her legs to transform back into a tail. Claire and Hailey show Aquamarine a water tower for her to spend the night in, and promise to visit her the next day.
In the morning, the three take a bus to Tampa for a classic shopping montage to obtain clothing for the party.
After three days are up, Raymond still has not fallen in love with Aquamarine, and her father calls her back home in a giant storm. Hailey and Claire swim after Aquamarine after she tries to defy her father again, and they discover the meaning of platonic love. Aquamarine's father is satisfied, and the girls receive their wish. They decide to not use it to keep Hailey from moving away, and instead they part ways with Aquamarine, with promises that they will remain friends despite their distance from each other.
- Sara Paxton as Aquamarine
- Emma Roberts as Claire Brown
- JoJo Levesque as Hailey Rogers
- Jake McDorman as Raymond
- Arielle Kebbel as Cecilia Banks
- Claudia Karvan as Ginny Rogers
- Bruce Spence as Leonard
- Tammin Sursok as Marjorie
- Roy Billing as Grandpa Bob
- Julia Blake as Grandma Maggie
- Shaun Micallef as Storm Banks
- Lulu McClatchy as Bonnie
- Natasha Cunningham as Patty
- Dichen Lachman as Beth
- Lincoln Lewis as Theo
- Julia Blake as Jessica
Aquamarine received mixed to positive reviews; it currently As of February 2015, holds a 51% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with the consensus "A lighthearted, gum-smacking, boy-crazy film with a hopeful message for young girls." On Metacritic, which uses an average of critics' reviews, the film holds 51/100, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
The film opened in the North American box office at #5 with $7,482,669; by the end of its domestic run, the film grossed $18,597,342 domestically and $23,006,849 worldwide.
|Soundtrack album by various artists|
|Released||February 21, 2006|
|Label||Universal Motown Republic Group/La La Land|
- "One Original Thing" – Cheyenne Kimball
- "Strike" – Nikki Flores
- "Connected" – Sara Paxton
- "One and Only" – Teitur
- "Right Now 2004" – Atomic Kitten
- "Island in the Sun" – Emma Roberts
- "Time for Me to Fly" – Nick Jonas
- "Can't Behave" – Courtney Jaye
- "Summertime Guys" – Nikki Cleary
- "One Way or Another" – Mandy Moore
- "Sweet Troubled Soul" – Stellastarr
- "I Like the Way You Move" – Bodyrockers
- "Main Titles"
- "The Storm"
- "Washed Ashore"
- "Claire Falls In"
- "Meeting Aqua"
- "The Next Morning/Shell Phone Call"
- "Making the Deal"
- "Ray & Aqua/Magazines"
- "Paddleboat Date"
- "The Water Tower"
- "Hailey Rides the Dolphins"
- "Aqua's Decision"
- "First Kiss"
- "Cecilia Climbs the Tower"
- "Hailey and Claire Argue"
- "The Pier/Storm/The Buoy"
- "The Tear/Goodbyes"
- Other songs featured in the film
- "A Comer Chicharron (Guaracha)" – Charanga Cubana
- "City Girls Jr." – Simon Leadley
- "Control Me" – The A Team
- "Dejenme Vivir" – Charanga Cubana
- "Don't Cry Baby" – Alana Dafonseca
- "Drive Me Crazy" – Miss Eighty 6
- "I Rock Hard" – Miss Eighty 6
- "Island in the Sun" – Weezer
- "Big Wave – Pearl Jam
- "Underground" – Puretone
- "Smile" – Vitamin C
The film was released June 13, 2006, on Region 1 DVD.