|Known for||Painting, contemporary art|
|Awards||2014 Prudential Eye Award
2011 Archibald Prize
2009 Doug Moran National Portrait Prize
Quilty grew up in Kenthurst in Sydney's north-west. He lives and works in Robertson, New South Wales. He graduated from Oakhill College. He is a graduate of the Sydney College of the Arts at the University of Sydney. Quilty also graduated from the University of Western Sydney with a Bachelor's degree in Visual Communication. 
Awards and prizes
In 2009, he won the Doug Moran National Portrait Prize, Australia's most lucrative portrait prize, for a painting of Australian musician Jimmy Barnes. His painting Dead (Over the Hills and Far Away) won the National Artists Self Portrait prize in 2007.
Official War artist
From 11 October until 3 November 2011, Quilty was attached to the Australian Defence Force (ADF) observing their activities in Kabul, Kandahar and Tarin Kowt. His task was to record and interpret the experiences of Australian service personnel who are deployed as part of Operation Slipper. After his return, Quilty spent six months producing work for the Australian War Memorial's National Collection. Such work is in the tradition of war artists that began in World War I with artists Arthur Streeton, George Lambert and Frederick McCubbin.Quilty's experiences as a war artist and the work he produced as a result of it was explored in the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Program "War Paint" (one of the series Australian Story) screened on 3 September 2012.
- Low, Lenny Ann (17 March 2007). "The hot seat: Ben Quilty". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- Westwood, Matthew (16 April 2011), Margaret Olley leaves her hat on for Ben Quilty's win, The Australian, retrieved 16 April 2011
- "Robertson artist's Archibald entry". ABC Illawarra. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Ben Quilty portrait of Jimmy Barnes wins $150,000 Moran prize". The Australian. 10 March 2009. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "First self portrait prize handed out". ABC Local. 20 October 2007. Retrieved 16 April 2011.
- "Ben Quilty Official War Artist". Australian War Memorial Media Release. 14 December 2011. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- Hawley, Janet (4 February 2012). "Tour of Duty". Good Weekend in The Sydney Morning Herald: 13, 14–15,17.
- Transcript of "War Paint", Quilty's "Australian Story" on ABC television
- Official website
- Video: Artscape - Ben Quilty and the Maggots
- Review of Fiji Wedding, at Das Platforms.
for Margaret Olley