|Studio album by 2Pac|
|Released||November 26, 2002|
(Production, guest vocals, and mixing)
|Genre||Hip hop, Gangsta rap, West coast hip hop, Acoustic hip hop|
|Label||Amaru, Tha Row|
|Producer||Afeni Shakur, Johnny "J"|
|Entertainment Weekly||C |
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide||link|
It was released on November 26, 2002, debuting at number 5 on the Billboard 200. This album is the second of two albums (The first being Until The End Of Time) that consists of a collection of previously unreleased material by way of remixed songs from Tupac's "Makaveli" period while signed to Death Row Records, and was produced by Johnny "J", Jazze Pha, Frank Nitty, and E.D.I. of Outlawz. Tracks include "My Block (remix)", "When We Ride on Our Enemies", "Catchin' Feelins" and "Never Call U Bitch Again". It also includes "Military Minds" which features Boot Camp Clik members Buckshot and Smif-n-Wessun (credited as Cocoa Brovaz) which was supposed to be part of a collaborative album between Shakur and BCC titled One Nation but was never officially released due to Shakur's death. What's different about Better Dayz is that there were no censored references to Death Row Records. Unlike his album Until The End Of Time, where only three songs weren't censored of the infamous label.
It features 23 unreleased recordings including remixes from the period of 1994-1996, with appearances by Nas, Outlawz, Mýa, Jazze Pha, Ron Isley, and Tyrese, among others. The hit single, "Thugz Mansion," comes in two versions: the Nas acoustic version, on which the music video is based, and a hip hop version featuring Anthony Hamilton.
John Bush from AllMusic wrote: Though it was released on the eve of the busiest year in 2Pac's posthumous career, Better Dayz shouldn't be overlooked—and with the schedule including a feature documentary (with soundtrack), plus two books and another double album, it might be easy for this one to slip from the radar. A lengthy two-disc set, it benefits from a raft of still-compelling material by one of the two or three best rappers in history, as well as excellent compiling by executive producers Suge Knight and Afeni Shakur, 2Pac's mother. Organizing the set roughly into one disc of hardcore rap and one of R&B jams makes for an easier listen, and the R&B disc especially has some strong tracks, opening with a remix of 1995's "My Block" and including quintessentially 2Pac material—reflective, conflicted, occasionally anguished—like "Never Call U B**** Again," "Better Dayz," "Fame," and "This Life I Lead." Most of the tracks are previously unreleased, the rest coming from scattered compilations like Knight's Chronic 2000: Still Smokin' or 1995's The Show soundtrack. It's 2Pac's best album since his death, and bodes well for future material by, and concerning, rap's most legendary figure.
The track "Ghetto Star" has appeared on the soundtrack to the video game 25 To Life.
Better Dayz sold 366,000 copies in its first week on the charts. It has sold 1,765,597 copies in the United States as of 2011. On January 31, 2003, it was certified 2x Platinum in the U.S and then certified 3x Platinum on August 2014. The album was also certified 3x Platinum in Canada May 2003.
|2.||"Still Ballin'" (featuring Trick Daddy)||Johnny "J" - Remixed by Nitty||2:50|
|3.||"When We Ride on Our Enemies"||Johnny "J" - Remixed by BRISS||2:54|
|4.||"Changed Man" (featuring Johnta Austin, T.I. and Jazze Pha)||Johnny "J" - Remixed by Jazze Pha||3:52|
|5.||"Fuck Em All" (featuring Outlawz)||Johnny "J"||4:26|
|6.||"Never B Peace" (featuring E.D.I. and Kastro)||Johnny "J" - Remixed by Nitty||4:59|
|7.||"Mama's Just a Little Girl" (featuring Kimma Hill)||Johnny "J" - Remixed by Kip "KP" Wilson||4:58|
|8.||"Street Fame"||Daz Dillinger - Remixed by BRISS||4:30|
|9.||"Whatcha Gonna Do?" (featuring Outlawz)||Johnny "J" - Remixed by E.D.I.||3:39|
|10.||"Fair Xchange" (featuring Jazze Pha)||Johnny "J" - Remixed by Jazze Pha||3:52|
|11.||"Late Night" (featuring Outlawz and DJ Quik)||DJ Quik||4:18|
|12.||"Ghetto Star" (featuring Nutt-So)||Go-Twice||4:15|
|13.||"Thugz Mansion (Acoustic Version)" (featuring Nas and J.Phoenix)||Johnny "J" - Remixed by A. "Pitboss" Johnson, Aulsondro "Novelist" Hamilton, and Claudio Cueni||4:13|
|1.||"My Block (Remix)"||Remixed by Nitty||Easy Mo Bee||5:22|
|2.||"Thugz Mansion" (featuring Anthony Hamilton)||Remixed by 7 Aurelius||Johnny J||4:07|
|3.||"Never Call U Bitch Again" (featuring Tyrese)||Johnny J||4:38|
|4.||"Better Dayz" (featuring Ron Isley)||Johnny J||4:17|
|5.||"U Can Call" (featuring Jazze Pha)||Remixed by Jazze Pha||Johnny J||3:49|
|6.||"Military Minds" (featuring Cocoa Brovaz and Buckshot)||Remixed by E.D.I. Mean||Darryl “Big D” Harper||5:29|
|7.||"Fame" (featuring Outlawz)||Hurt M Badd||4:50|
|8.||"Fair Xchange (Remix)" (featuring Mýa)||Remixed by Troy Johnson||Johnny J||3:56|
|9.||"Catchin' Feelins" (featuring Outlawz)||E.D.I. Mean||4:54|
|10.||"There U Go" (featuring Big Syke and Outlawz)||Johnny J||5:30|
|11.||"This Life I Lead" (featuring Outlawz)||Johnny J||5:21|
|12.||"Who Do U Believe In?" (featuring Nanci Fletcher, Yaki Kadafi and Big Pimpin' Delemond)||Johnny J||5:30|
|13.||"They Don't Give a Fuck About Us" (featuring Outlawz)||Johnny J||5:08|
- "Better Dayz"
- "Let's Fall in Love (Parts 1 & 2)" by The Isley Brothers
- "Catchin Feelins"
- "Peter Piper" by Run-DMC
- "Late Night"
- "Have Your Ass Home by 11:00" by Richard Pryor
- "Wind Parade" by Donald Byrd
- "Last Night Changed It All (I Really Had a Ball)" by Esther Williams
- "This Life I Lead"
- "Naturally Mine" by Al B. Sure!
- "Who Do U Believe In"
- "Manifest Destiny" by Jamiroquai
Album chart positions
|New Zealand Charts||#20|
|Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums||#1|
|Canada (Music Canada)||3× Platinum||240,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||3× Platinum||3,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- 2Pac - Primary Artist
- Phalon Alexander - Composer
- Asif Ali - Engineer
- Delmar "Daz" Arnaud - Composer
- Seven Aurelius - Composer
- Johnta Austin - Featured Artist, Primary Artist
- Rob "Fonksta" Bacon - Guest Artist, Guitar
- Bill Bennett - Assistant Engineer
- Big Syke - Featured Artist, Primary Artist
- Ian Blanch - Assistant Engineer, Engineer
- Warren Bletcher - Assistant Engineer
- Ian Boxill - Engineer, Mixing
- Leslie Brathwaite - Engineer, Mixing
- Briss - Instrumentation, Producer
- Ricardo Brown - Composer
- Buckshot - Featured Artist, Primary Artist
- Coco Brothers - Featured Artist
- Sean Cole - Composer
- Courtney Copeland - Vocals (Background)
- Kevin Crouse - Engineer
- Claudio Cueni - Composer, Digital Editing, Engineer, Mixing, Producer
- Chris DeLaPena - Assistant Engineer
- DJ Quik - Composer, Engineer, Primary Artist, Producer
- DRP - Composer
- E.D.I. - Composer, Featured Artist, Mixing, Music Supervisor, Primary Artist, Remixing
- Steve Fisher - Assistant Engineer
- G Mack - Guitar
- Brian "Big Bass" Gardner - Mastering
- A. Gobi - Photography
- Anthony Hamilton - Composer, Featured Artist, Primary Artist
- Darryl Harper - Composer, Producer
- Mýa Harrison - Composer
- Michael Herring - Composer
- Kimmy Hill - Featured Artist
- Ernie Isley - Composer
- Ronald Isley - Guest Artist
- Johnny Jackson - Composer
- Chris Jasper - Composer
- Jazze Pha - Featured Artist, Guest Artist, Primary Artist, Producer
- Johnny J - Arranger, Mixing, Producer
- Troy Johnson - Composer, Instrumentation, Producer
- Kadafi - Featured Artist
- Kasbro - Featured Artist
- Kastro - Composer, Performer, Primary Artist
- Jason Kay - Composer
- Ronnie King - Keyboards
- Suge Knight - Executive Producer
- Larry Loftin - Composer
- Mr. Biggs - Featured Artist, Primary Artist
- Larry Mizell - Composer
- Chicu Modu - Photography
- Molly Monjauze - Project Director
- Mussamill - Featured Artist
- James Musshorn - Assistant Engineer
- Mya - Featured Artist, Guest Artist, Primary Artist
- Napoleon - Composer, Featured Artist
- Nas - Composer, Featured Artist, Guest Artist, Primary Artist
- Duane Nettlesbey - Composer
- Nutso - Featured Artist
- Outlawz - Featured Artist, Guest Artist, Primary Artist
- J. Phoenix - Featured Artist, Primary Artist
- Frank Nitty Pimentel - Drum Programming, Keyboards, Producer
- Will Pyon - Digital Editing
- Chuck Reed - Digital Editing
- R.J. - Bass, Guest Artist, Guitar
- 7 Aurelius - Instrumentation, Producer
- Afeni Shakur - Executive Producer
- Tupac Shakur - Composer
- Shorty B. - Bass, Guitar
- Dexter Simmons - Mixing
- Toby Smith - Composer
- Alex Stiff - Bass, Composer, Guitar
- T.I. - Featured Artist, Guest Artist, Primary Artist
- Ellis Taylor - Vocals (Background)
- Trick Daddy - Featured Artist, Guest Artist, Primary Artist
- Tyrese - Featured Artist, Guest Artist, Primary Artist
- Mark Vinten - Assistant Engineer
- Corey Williams - Assistant Engineer
- Jasmine Wilson - Vocals (Background)
- Tyrone Wrice - Composer
- Keston Wright - Engineer
- Young Noble - Featured Artist
- Maurice "Mo" Young - Composer
- Ford, Robert (2003-01-03). "Better Dayz Review". Entertainment Weekly: 64. Retrieved 2012-10-12.
- David Jenison (Dec 4, 2002). ""Up" over McGraw, 2Pac, J.Lo". E!.
- "Tupac Month: 2Pac’s Discography". Retrieved May 27, 2013.
- RIAA database search, 18 November 2007
- "Gold & Platinum Certification – May 2003". Canadian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- "2Pac". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Steffen Hung. "2 Pac - Better Dayz". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Steffen Hung. "2 Pac - Better Dayz". lescharts.com. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "GFK Chart-Track". Chart-track.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Steffen Hung. "2 Pac - Better Dayz". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Steffen Hung. "2 Pac - Better Dayz". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "2Pac - Better Dayz". Chart Stats. 2002-12-14. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "2PAC | Artist". Official Charts. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Canadian album certifications – 2Pac – Better Dayz". Music Canada.
- "American album certifications – 2Pac – Better Dayz". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH