||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Danish Wikipedia. (September 2011)|
|Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips|
Philips in August 2010
|Born||Dennis Bradley Philips
6 January 1946
|Education||B.A. Islamic Studies,
M.A. Aqeedah, &
PhD Islamic Theology
|Alma mater||B.A. - Islamic University of Medina,
M.A. - King Saud University, &
PhD - University of Wales
Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips (born Dennis Bradley Philips on 6 January 1946, in Jamaica) is a contemporary Muslim teacher, speaker, and author, resident in Qatar.[dead link] He appears on Peace TV, which is a 24-hour Islamic satellite TV channel broadcasting to many countries around the world.
Philips was born on 6 January 1946[dead link] in Kingston, Jamaica, but grew up in Toronto, Canada, where he converted to Islam in 1972. Philips had encountered Islam several times in his travels, but the book that won him over was Islam, The Misunderstood Religion by Muhammad Qutb, the younger brother of Sayyid Qutb.
He received his B.A. degree from the Islamic University of Medina and his M.A. in Aqeedah (Islamic Theology) from the King Saud University in Riyadh, then to the University of Wales, where he completed a PhD in Islamic Theology in 1988.[dead link] Philips comes from a family of educators, as both his parents were teachers and his grandfather was a Christian minister and Bible scholar.[dead link]
Islamic Information Center
The Islamic Online University has been founded by Philips as a completely tuition-free institution that is offering an online intensive, undergraduate, and graduate courses in Islamic Studies. The university offers a four year bachelor of arts degree in Islamic studies program.[dead link]
The IOU was initially launched in 2001 from UAE with an offering of a few short courses. After a five year interlude, it was restarted in 2007 from Qatar with a greater offering of completely free short courses.
In 2007 Philips was banned from entering Australia on the advice of national security agencies.
In 2012, Philips was banned from entering Kenya over possible terror links. Philips was named by the US government as an unindicted co-conspirator in the 1993 World Trade Centre bombing.
- Fundamentals of TAWHEED (Islamic Monotheism) International Islamic Publishing House; ISBN 9960-9648-0-9
- The Evolution of Fiqh (Islamic Law & The Madh-habs) International Islamic Publishing House (Edited by Bradley Philips); ISBN 9960-672-86-7
- True Message of Jesus Christ Islamic Book Services 2006; ISBN 81-7231-360-8
- Purpose of Creation 84pp, Islamic Book Services 2002; ISBN 81-7231-358-6
- Funeral Rites International Islamic Publishing House; ASIN 9960850846
- Polygamy in Islam Islamic Book Services; ISBN 81-7231-715-8
- Islamic Studies Al-Basheer 2002; ISBN 1-898649-19-7
- List of Da'ees
- Islam in Canada
- Zakir Naik
- Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo
- Muhammad bin Jamil Zeno
- Yusuf Estes
- Gerard McManus. (2007-4-4). Radical sheik refused entry for Islamic talks. Herald Sun, retrieved December 13, 2007
- Interviews. (2007-4-9). Exclusive: Interview with Dr Bilal Philips. Austrolabe, retrieved August 07, 2011
- Admin. (no year). Brief Introduction to Dr. Abu Ameenah Philips. The Famous Muslim Website, retrieved April 29, 2011
- J. M. Berger, Jihad Joe: Americans Who Go to War in the Name of Islam, p 51. ISBN 1597976938
- Iesha Javed. (2010-02-13). An interview with dr. Abu ameenah bilal philips- by Iesha Javed. The Intellectual Online, retrieved August 6, 2011
- Admin. (2010-12-27). Bilal Philips. The Faith, retrieved August 7, 2010
- Website Admin. (no year). History. Islamic Online University Website, retrieved August 07, 2011
- Website Admin. (no year). About. Islamic Online University Website, retrieved August 07, 2011
- DPA/The Local/mdm. (2011-04-21). Islamist preacher ordered to leave Germany. The Local, retrieved August 6, 2011
- J. M. Berger, Jihad Joe: Americans Who Go to War in the Name of Islam, p 72. ISBN 1597976938
- Philips, Abu Ameenah Bilal (2006), The Fundamentals of TAWHEED (Islamic Monotheism), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: International Islamic Publishing House
- Philips, Abu Ameenah Bilal (2000), Tarikh Al-Madhahib Al-Fiqhiyah: The Evolution Of Fiqh: Islamic Law & The Madh-Habs, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: International Islamic Publishing House; Third Edition (2000)
- Philips, Abu Ameenah Bilal (1996), The True Message of Jesus Christ, Sharjah, U.A.E.: Dar Al Fatah Printing, Publishing & Distribution Co. Llc.
- Philips, Abu Ameenah Bilal (January 1, 2002), The Purpose of Creation, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: Islamic Book Service
- Philips, Abu Ameenah Bilal (2005), Funeral Rites in Islam, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: International Islamic Publishing House; 2nd Edition
- Philips; Jones, Abu Ameenah Bilal; Jameela (2006), Polygamy in Islam, India: Islamic Book Service
- Philips, Abu Ameenah Bilal (April 2002), Islamic Studies: Book 3 (Bk. 3), Denver, CO 80239 U.S.A.: Al-Basheer Publications & Translations