Blatchington Mill School and Sixth Form College
|Motto||involvement, achievement, care|
|Specialisms||Arts, Maths and computing|
England, United Kingdom Coordinates:
|Local authority||Brighton and Hove|
|DfE URN|| 114606  Tables|
|Former name||Hove County Grammar School for Boys|
|President of the Student Union||Sammy Valder|
|Event Organiser||Hannah Dobson|
|Teacher of the Year||Craig Sullivan|
It is a school of non-denominational religion. The total number of pupils in 2012, of all ages, was 1,668. The headteacher is Janet Felkin BSc MA. It is situated in West Blatchington with easy access to the A27 via the A2038, and on the A2023.
The school takes its name from the West Blatchington Windmill which is situated just outside the school gates.
Hove County Grammar School for Boys was on Holmes Avenue.
The comprehensive school was formed in 1979 from Hove County Grammar School merging with Knoll Boys School, and Nevill County Secondary School.
The school holds the status of:
- Arts Colleges
- Artsmark Gold Arts Council England
- RM Centre of Excellence
- Hove Leading Edge Partnership
- Maths and Computing
- Learning with the Community Schools Curriculum Award 2002
- Blatchington Mill Performing Arts
- Healthy School
- Sportsmark 2006 Education and Skills Rewarding Commitment
Exam performance improved in 2012 and is higher than the national average for students gaining 5A*-C grades including English and Maths. Attainment across subject areas is very strong. Fourteen subject areas (Art, Biology, Chemistry, Core Science, Design, Drama, English Literature, Geography, History, Maths, Music, Other Sciences, Physics, and Statistics) have A*-A benchmarks that are significantly above national average whilst 11 subject areas (Art, Communication Studies, Core Science, Design, Drama, Geography, German, Home Economics, Music, Other Sciences, and Statistics) have A*-C benchmarks that are significantly above national averages.
No subject areas have A*-A or A*-C benchmarks that are significantly below national averages. Post-16 results have improved significantly with a 13% rise in students attaining A*-B grades.
Blatchington Mill School and Sixth Form College were both inspected by Ofsted during February 2010. The school was assessed as "satisfactory" with a "good" capacity to improve. The Sixth Form was assessed as "Inadequate".
Pearson Computing Competition
In 2012, three students from blatchington mill won a nation wide competition to create a mobile application to help children and teenagers learn.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (October 2013)|
- Bobby Barry (1992-7) – musician
- Gareth Barry (1992-7) – professional footballer with Manchester City F.C.
- Mia Clarke (1994-9) – musician; former guitarist with Electrelane
- Jay Jackson (1986–94) – presenter Juice 107.2 FM
- Katie Price (1989–94) – glamour model, author and television personality
- Michael Standing (1993–97) – professional footballer with Bradford City F.C.
- Rizzle Kicks – Jordan Stephens (2003-08)
- Ollie Richards – England rugby player (2003-08)
Hove County Grammar School for Boys
- Chris Frean – founder, And Smith Must Score
- Steve Baddeley – badminton player
- David Standing – Sussex cricketer
- Jim Parks – Sussex and England cricketer
- Dinsdale Landen – actor