Boris Vladimirovich Stomakhin (Russian: Борис Владимирович Стомахин) (born August 24, 1974, Moscow) is a Russian radical political activist, and editor of "Radical politics" periodical. He was convicted to five years in prison on charges of inciting ethnic hatred and making public appeals for extremist activity. The conviction is questioned by human rights protection organizations ARTICLE 19, Committee to Protect Journalists, and Union of Councils for Soviet Jews.
Journalism and political activism
Since 2000, Boris Stomakhin was an editor of the monthly newspaper "Radical Politics". In addition, he contributed numerous materials to Kavkaz Center, the radical Islamic internet agency that promotes the independence of Chechnya and is maintained by Chechen separatists.
Russians must be killed, and only killed - there are no normal people among them.
To kill, to kill, to kill! To flood all Russia in blood, to show no mercy for anyone, to try by all means to organize a nuclear weapons explosion on the territory of the Russian Federation, - this must be the plan of radical Resistance, Russian, Chechen, any one!
The Russian court established that Stomakhin called for the violent overthrow of government and claimed that Russian troops in Chechnya are "occupiers" and compared President Vladimir Putin to Saddam Hussein and Slobodan Milošević. According to his court sentence, Stomakhin also stated that modern Russia is an Evil empire and therefore must be destroyed, and considered Shamil Basaev and Salman Raduev as heroes of the Chechen resistance whose terrorist activities are legitimate.
Valeria Novodvorskaya and Yakov Krotov, prominent human rights activists believe that he did not promote any terrorist activities, calling him a "political prisoner", and "not an extremist".
Opening of a criminal case against Stomakhin
Successful application to prosecute Stomakhin was made by opposition Communist Party State Duma member Viktor Zorkaltsev at the request of another Communist party member Valentina Lavrova. Valentina Lavrova has acquired a copy of Stomakhin Radical Politics periodical, while being on rally in Mayakovsky Square, Moscow, in September 2002. Being insulted by the text of periodicals she hasn't rushed immediately to authorities, and began to collect the evidence by visiting public actions of Stomakhin and acquiring new numbers of his periodical. After collecting the evidence she referred not to police or security authorities, but to the member of parliament, Viktor Zorkaltsev.
Arrest and trial
Having returned to Moscow, Stomakhin was arrested on March 21, 2006. Stomakhin tried to escape during his arrest and fell down from fourth floor of his building, according to his lawyer Alexei Golubev and news reports. His spine and bones were broken as a result.
He was sentenced to five years of prison for inciting hatred and defamatory statements aimed at groups and persons of particular religious and ethnic background and for promoting violent change of constitutional regime and violation of territorial integrity of Russian Federation (articles 280 and 282 of the Russian Criminal Code).
Below are some excerpts from Stomakhin's articles cited as incriminating evidence in the court sentence:
- "Let tens of new Chechen snipers take their positions in the mountain ridges and the city ruins and let hundreds, thousands of aggressors fall under righteous bullets! No mercy! Death to the Russian occupiers!" (the article was written in response to rape and murder of Chechen women Elza Kungaeva by Yuri Budanov)
- "We, 'Revolutionary Contact Association' and 'Radical Politics' are united with the Committee 2008 and are ready to cooperate with it. However we [are] a lot more radical. We are for not waiting until 2008 and bothering ourselves particularly with the Constitution, but we are for calling people to overthrow the Putin's regime as soon as possible. And we do not see any possibility of preserving Russian Federation as a single state. But we are ready to unite with all allies, even those that are more moderate".
- "Bombing in Moscow subway was justified, natural and legal... The Chechens have full moral right to blow up anything they want in Russia after all that Russia and Russians did to them, none objections on humanism and philanthropy could be accepted."
- "All Chechnya is currently filled up with the same Budanovs, maniacs, blood lusting sadists, murderers and degenerates with epaulets . The entire Russian occupation army consists of such Budanovs".
- "In Chechnya Russian army ceased to exist as a military structure of state, being transformed into a devilish gang of marauders and killers, the gang intoxicated from narcotics".
- "Precisely the bloody, cannibalistic ferocity of this state against a small and defenceless mountain nation was the first to inspire our mind with this thought: Russia must be destroyed forever, a state that allows itself to do such things to entire nations must not exist at all!"
- "The Chechen heroes are going. Dudayev, Atteriyev, Khattab, and today - Raduyev. It is as if they are being devoured, swallowed by a terrible, black malodorous abyss. The name of that abyss is Russia. Russia's immeasurable baseness and perfidy, her pathological dishonesty and criminality as a country, a civilization, a historical agent."
Stomakhin pleaded not guilty. Stomakhin was periodically laughing when the judge was reading his sentence.
In five years after his arrest on 21 March 2011 Somakhin was released from jail.
Second arrest and a new criminal case
After remaining at large about six years, Boris Stomakhin again was arrested at his apartment Nov. 20 2012 and on a charge of violating the "anti-extremist" articles of the Criminal Code (articles 282 and 205 of the Criminal Code). Detention was the anniversary of his conviction in 2006. Court authorized his detention until 9 February 2013. The investigation was opened on July 10, 2012 and, although this was not mentioned anywhere, and Stomakhin summonses for questioning did not get up to the time of his detention.
The subject of the charges brought against the 21 November 2012 and served as the signature of three articles Stomakhin published on the Internet, namely, "Do not let another Holocaust" and "Untermensch" (in Part 1 of Article 282 of the Criminal Code, "excitement hatred and hostility on grounds of nationality or origin"), and "Mourning" (in Part 1 of the Criminal Code st.205.2, "public justification of terrorism"). In case are other article signed Stomakhin published since 2001 and (also before his first arrest). The investigation Stomakhin refused to give evidence in accordance with Article 51 of the Constitution.
The arrest of journalist was condemned by a number of public figures, including historian and sociologist Alec D. Epstein, journalists Daniel Kotsjubinsky and Vladimir Pribylovsky, a former member of the Federation Council Alexei Manannikov, the former Soviet dissidents and political prisoners Adele Naydenovich, Natalya Gorbanevskaya, Andrey Derevyankin, Paul Lyuzakov, Elena Sannikova, Alexander Podrabinek, and Cyril Podrabinek, Valeria Novodvorskaya., Pyotr Verzilov. A campaign for his release. So, on the actions of the Russian opposition to 2012-2013 s raised banners with the text "Free Boris Stomakhin", his portraits with the inscription "Boris Stomakhin. 5 years in prison" were pasted on the walls Russian embassy in Berlin the night of January 16, 2013 and during the campaign in support of arrested activists of the Russian opposition, more than 100 opposition signed a petition demanding the release Stomakhin.
Alexander Litvinenko said that "people like Boris are the most dangerous for the Putin's regime that deceived millions of Russians, brought them to their knees and transformed them to slaves". According to priest Yakov Krotov, "Stomakin made a picture of Putin with swastika? Well, I believe that not only Putin and his generals deserve to wear swastika, but also all Russian civilians who pretend that they know nothing about the genocide of Chechens and discrimination of Georgians in Russia"
Stomakhin was qualified as a prisoner of conscience"  by the Union of Councils for Soviet Jews and as a political prisoner in an open letter send to G7 leaders by Russia's human rights activists Sergei Kovalev, Yelena Bonner. 
Human rights activist Svetlana Gannushkina and politician Valeria Novodvorskaya argued that Stomakhin's writings while being "absolutely outrageous" and "inciting national hatred" had not been a public threat: they were very unlikely to incite anybody 
Journalist Vladimir Abarinov criticized court proceedings as an example of kangaroo court He claimed that the criminal case against Stomakhin was opened based on solely an article about Russian Orthodox Church that was not written by Stomakhin. It was decided by the court that Stomakhin actually copied this article from a Live Journal entry, as well as other publications of numerous news agencies. The authors of the original work disagree to share their responsibility with Stomakhin citing that he had reproduced their works without permission and distorted the original meaning.
Critics of the court decision were denounced by Russian pro-government publicist Maxim Sokolov. In his article published in Izvestia newspaper after the conviction of Stomakhin he remarked that Stomakhin's writings were worse than Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler and that the hate speech must be prosecuted according to the article 282 of the Russian criminal code. He cited in support a text written by Boris Stomakhin, that "Russian Federation and Russians must be exterminated" by all available means including nuclear bomb, because all Russians are collectively responsible for actions of their government with respect to Chechen people. According to Sokolov, the cited passage made application of the article 282 completely appropriate.
- Lenin, facsists and sexual minorities freedom.
- Maxim Sokolov Trap-282 Izvestia 23 November 2006
- "Статьи и материалы". Rko.marsho.net. Retrieved 2014-03-17.
- [dead link]
- Official Court Sentence on Russian language dated 20.11.2006
- Independent journalist given five-year sentence allegedly for inciting ethnic strife
- Boris Stomakhin:Victim of the Regime or a Terrorist Radio Liberty (Russian)
- Stomakhin Case - by Vladimir Abarinov for grani.ru.
- Radical politics and unrestrainted silliness
- Lenta.ru news agency article
- Prima News Agency report
- NewsRu Agency report
- Lenta.Ru Agency report
- Regnum News Agency report
- Grani News Agency report
- Human Rights Activists Website of Valeria Novodvorskaya article
- Center of Extremal Journalism article
- RIAN News Agency investigation
- RIAN News Agency news article
- Text of Stomakhin's sentence (Russian)
- "От звонка до звонка". Kasparov.ru. 22 March 2011. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- Chronicle of a new criminal case against Boris Stomakhin
- Alex Epstein, "The Glass Bead Game Boris Stomakhin"
- Daniel Kotsjubinsky "Arrest Boris Stomakhin and legal framework of the Russian Federation"
- Adele Naydenovich "statement in defense of the arrested journalist Boris Stomakhin"
- Natalia Gorbanevskaya of the Article 282 of the Criminal Code and case B. Stomakhin
- Andrey Derevyankin "Hands off Stomakhin!"
- Elena Sannikov "Speech in defense Stomakhin"
- Alexander Podrabinek "Human Rights cross"
- Valeria Novodvorskaya "Unprotected opposition"
- Berlin Action in defense of Russian political prisoners in Berlin
- Freedom Boris Stomakhin! No harassment for thoughts and words!
- Political prisoner Boris Stomakhin, page 10
- Political prisoner Boris Stomakhin, page 14
- Open letter in support of Boris Stomakhin
- Letter by Sannikova and Bonner.
- Conviction of Boris Stomakhin: Opinions (Russian) - by Anna Karpuk for grani.ru
- Scapegoats - by Valeria Novodvorskaya for grani.ru
- Second-hand fascism - by Valeria Novodvorskaya for grani.ru
- Komsomolskaya Pravda article
- Maksim Sokolov, a self-described "okhranitel" and conservative
- Boris Stomakhin's official web-page
- (Russian) Official Court Sentence, dated November 20, 2006
- Web site in support of Boris Stomakhin
- Articles by Boris Stomakhin
- The article 'Death to Russia' by Boris Stomkahin in Google cache
- Revolutionary Contact Association website
- Another website of Revolutionary Contact Association