Brooklyn Community Board 8
Brooklyn Community Board 8 is a local governmental body in the New York City borough of Brooklyn that encompasses the neighborhoods of Crown Heights, Prospect Heights, and Bedford-Stuyvesant. It is delimited by Flatbush Avenue on the west, Atlantic Avenue on the north, Ralph Avenue on the east, as well as by New York Avenue, Rochester Avenue and Eastern Parkway on the south.
Its current chairman is Nizjoni Granville, Robert Mattews is Chair Emeritus, and its district manager Michelle George.
As of the United States Census, 2000, the Community Board has a population of 96,076, down from 96,400 in 1990 but up from 88,795 in 1980.
Of them (as of 2000)
- 74,942 (78.0%) identify as African-American
- 10,012 (10.4%) identify as having Hispanic origins
- 6,536 (6.8%) identify as White non-Hispanic
- 1,591 (1.7%) identify as Asian or Pacific Islander
- 196 (0.2%) identify as American Indian or Native Alaskan
- 407 (0.4%) identify with another group
- 2,392 (2.5%) identify with two or more groups
38.8% of the population benefit from public assistance as of 2004, up from 26.9% in 2000. The land area is 1,049.3 acres (4.2464 km2).
- Profile of the Community Board (PDF)
- Official website of the Community Board
- Brooklyn neighborhood map
|This New York City–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|