Bubble Bobble Part 2
|Bubble Bobble Part 2|
|Publisher(s)||Taito America Corp.|
|Release date(s)||1993 |
|Mode(s)||Up to 2 players, alternating (NES)
1 player (Game Boy)
Bubble Bobble Part 2 (バブルボブル2?) is a game in the Bubble Bobble series. While it was never released in the arcade, two versions of the game were developed independently from each other (for the NES and Game Boy formats), with each game receiving a different story line as a result. The Game Boy version is known in Japan as Bubble Bobble Junior (バブルボブルジュニア?).
As seen in the game intro, Bub, and a girl named Judy, were sitting in a park. Suddenly, a floating skull character, who is one of the Skull Brothers, captures Judy into a bubble, and sends her and Bub into the air. Two characters named Drunk (from the original Bubble Bobble) follow the skull and take Judy away. Bub turns (or is turned) into a bubble dragon and heads off to rescue his girlfriend. There is also a two-player mode, implying that Bob has suffered the same events as Bub had. However, the manual states that Judy is a friend of both.
In the Game Boy version, a character named Robby has to rescue people from a village, who, according to this version's intro, have been captured by a skull character.
For both the NES and Game Boy versions, the gameplay remains largely unchanged from the other games in the series. However, the player can become able to float up to higher platforms and over walls by holding down the B button. In the NES release, unlike the original Bubble Bobble and many other games in the series, the 2-player mode has players take turns across levels, rather than cooperatively play through them simultaneously.
In the NES version only, there are three bonus games which are located after the player defeats a boss, or through a certain door.
Because of its late release on the NES, Bubble Bobble Part 2 is exceptionally hard to find and is sought after by collectors. Loose copies of the game routinely sell on eBay for between $260 and $300. Complete-in-box copies of the game carry prices ranging between $400 and $600 on eBay and Amazon.com.
- IGN.com page
- Gamespot page
- Bubble Bobble Part 2 (NES) instruction manual
- Bubble Bobble Part 2 (NES) back cover; see Bubble Bobble Part 2 - NES - Retro Game Guide
- Taito Corporation. "Bubble Bobble Part 2" NES. Scene: Opening.
- Taito Corporation. "Bubble Bobble Part 2 (Bubble Bobble Junior)". Game Boy. Scene: Opening. "Our village friends have been captured by the evil king Great Skall!! Robby! Please rescue them!! Good luck!!"
- eBay completed items listings - Registration needed
- Amazon.com Marketplace listing for Bubble Bobble 2
- http://perso.wanadoo.es/bubblebobble/bubblebobble2.swf - An imperfect five-level Flash simulation of the NES version's Japanese release.