|Developer(s)||John Jacoby, Paul Gibbs, Boone Georges, Andy Peatling|
|Stable release||1.9 / December 16, 2013|
|Type||Blog publishing system, Social Networking System, Social Networking, Social Network Scripts|
|License||GNU General Public License version 2|
BuddyPress is an open source social networking software package owned by Automattic since 2008. It is a plugin that can be installed on WordPress to transform it into a social network platform. BuddyPress is designed to allow schools, companies, sports teams, or any other niche community to start their own social network or communication tool.
BuddyPress inherits and extends upon the integral functional elements of the WordPress engine including themes, plugins, and widgets. As it is built on WordPress it is written using the same primary technologies, PHP and MySQL.
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (January 2014)|
BuddyPress has a range of features that will allow the creation of a social network application. However, based on one's interest, can start with a couple of features and simply turn off unneeded features.
The basic installed system offers:
- Activity Streams
- User Profiles
- Options to add user profile fields and sections
- Avatar uploads
- Group Creation
- Group discussion forums
- Group logo and Wire
- Friend system
- Custom themes
- Blogs per user (via the WordPress engine)
Group discussion forums are provided by the integration of the popular GPL forum software bbPress. With 1.1 versions and above, bbPress is seamlessly integrated within BuddyPress allowing for single sign-on and one click forum integration.
Use in education
BuddyPress is used by various institutions and organizations:
- Universidad Nacional de Chimborazo (School Social Network)
- The Academic Commons of The City University of New York (School Social Network)
- The University of Mary Washington (School Social Network)
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock (School Social Network)
- Wheaton College (School Social Network)
- Lafayette College (School Social Network)
- Boston University Admissions (School Social Network)
- Shantou University Cheung Kong School of Journalism and Communication ((e-Learning))
- Maharishi University of Management ((Alumni Website))
- Toons Mag ((Cartoonist Social Network))
|1.0||April 30, 2009|
|1.1||September 30, 2009|
|1.2||February 16, 2010|
|1.5||September 21, 2011|
|1.6||August 13, 2012|
|1.7||April 8, 2013|
|1.8||July 17, 2013|
|1.9||December 16, 2013|
A full release history can be found here.
- Doug Caverly (March 5, 2008). "Automattic Acquires BuddyPress". WebProNews. Retrieved June 30, 2011.
- Joseph Tartakoff (May 1, 2009). "Automattic Rolls Out A WordPress For Social Networks". The Washington Post. Retrieved June 30, 2011.