|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
|Canada via terrestrial transmission, worldwide via the Internet and Satellite|
|Area||Since April 2012 RCI has ceased broadcast via Shortwave and Satellite|
CBC Radio is the English-language radio operations of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. The CBC operates a number of radio networks serving different audiences and programming niches, all of which (regardless of language) are outlined below.
CBC Radio operates three English language networks.
- CBC Radio One - Primarily news and information, CBC Radio One broadcasts to most communities across Canada. Until 1997, it was known as "CBC Radio".
- CBC Radio 2 - Broadcasts music, arts and culture programming, including opera, classical music, jazz and theatre. It was previously known as "CBC Radio Two", and before that "CBC Stereo". Each year the service records hundreds of live concerts for broadcast across the country.
- CBC Radio 3 - Broadcasts a youth-oriented indie rock format on Internet radio and Sirius XM Radio. Some content from Radio 3 was also broadcast as weekend programming on Radio Two until March 2007.
The inconsistency of branding between "One" and "2" and "3" was a deliberate design choice on CBC's part and is not an error.
From 1944 to 1962 CBC's English service operated two radio networks, the main Trans-Canada Network and the Dominion Network. In 1962 the Dominion Network was disbanded and the Trans-Canada Network became known as CBC Radio and, in 1997, CBC Radio One. In some cases CBC announcers will still say "CBC Radio" in reference to programs that air only on Radio One.
The CBC English service launched the CBC Radio app for iPhone on August 13, 2009. The free app provides 19 live streams for Radio One, 2 and 3, and 60 on-demand services, including TV Audio and streams from CBC Music. The app runs on iPhone and iPod Touch devices 2.2.1 and higher, and includes additional features such as a schedule, sleep timer, and a favourites list. The app was updated in November 2010 to be usable on an iPad and includes additional functionality.
The CBC (better known in French as la Société Radio-Canada, or colloquially simply Radio-Canada) also operates two French language radio networks, each of which has a similar programming focus to one of the corporation's English-language radio networks. A third service was discontinued in 2013.
Structurally, the French-language radio operations are managed as part of the CBC's overall French-language services division, and therefore have limited ties to the English-language radio networks, which are structured similarly (i.e., there is no overall "CBC Radio" division responsible for both English and French radio).
- Ici Radio-Canada Première - News and information.
- Ici Musique - Music, arts and culture.
- Bande à part - Youth-oriented programming on Internet and Sirius, although some content continues to air as weekend programming on Espace musique. Discontinued in 2013.
In the Northwest Territories, the Yukon Territory, Nunavut, and northern Quebec, CBC North airs a modified Radio One schedule to accommodate programming in Native languages and Radio Nord Quebec, which airs a combined Radio One/La Première Chaîne schedule via shortwave mixed in with programming in native languages.
In some remote Canadian tourist areas, such as national or provincial parks, the CBC also operates a series of transmitters which broadcast weather alerts from Environment Canada's Weatheradio Canada service.
The CBC formerly operated Galaxie, a digital television radio service which provides 45 channels of music programming to digital cable subscribers in both English and French. This service is now operated by Stingray Digital.
CBC Radio in the news
Beginning in 2012, CBC Radio is losing some of its funding as a result of large cuts in Canadian government spending. This has resulted in a reduction of the number of concerts being recorded, the closing of recording studios and the laying off of technicians, as well as the introduction of four minutes per hour of advertising on CBC Radio 2 and Espace musique.
- "Industry News: CBC budget cuts mean fewer live recordings", Words and Music, Fall 2012
- "CRTC allows advertising on CBC Radio 2 and Espace Musique". Toronto Star, May 28, 2013.
- Nolan, Michael. Foundations: Alant Plaunt and the Early Days of C.B.C. Radio. Toronto, Ont.: C.B.C. Enterprises, 1986. ISBN 0-88794-217-2