BBC Canada

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
BBC Canada
BBC Canada logo.svg
Launched September 7, 2001 (2001-09-07)
Owned by Jasper Broadcasting Inc.
(Shaw Media (80%, managing partner)
BBC Worldwide (20%))
Picture format 480i (SDTV)
Slogan The Best and Boldest of British Television
Country Canada
Language English
Broadcast area Nationwide
Headquarters Toronto, Ontario
Website www.bbccanada.com
Availability
Satellite
Bell TV Channel 635
Shaw Direct Channel 534
Cable
Available on many Canadian cable systems Consult your local cable provider for channel availability
IPTV
Bell Aliant TV Channel 266
Bell Fibe TV Channel 635
MTS Channel 304
Optik TV Channel 181
SaskTel Channel 145

BBC Canada is a Canadian English language Category B[clarification needed] cable and satellite specialty channel that is owned by Jasper Broadcasting Inc., a joint venture between Shaw Media (which serves as managing partner, and owns a controlling 80% interest) and BBC Worldwide (which owns the remaining 20%). It focuses on British television series, many originally produced by or for the BBC.

History[edit]

Alliance Atlantis (AAC) was granted a broadcast licence for a Category 2 [clarification needed] specialty service, BBC Canada, by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) in November 2000.[1] The channel was launched on September 7, 2001 as a joint venture between AAC and BBC Worldwide.

To promote the launch of BBC Canada's 2007 fall season, a 16-page British-style tabloid insert called the BBC Telly was published in the Toronto Star. Toronto-based Pilot PMR created the campaign creative.

On January 18, 2008, a joint venture between Canwest and Goldman Sachs Capital Partners known as CW Media bought Alliance Atlantis and gained AAC's interest in BBC Canada. On October 27, 2010, the channel's ownership changed once again as Shaw Communications gained control of BBC Canada as a result of its acquisition of Canwest and Goldman Sachs' interest in CW Media.[2][3]

Programming[edit]

While BBC Canada is part-owned by the BBC, not all of the BBC's programs air on BBC Canada. In general, while BBC Worldwide and its affiliated operations have a "first look" at the corporation's output, this right only applies so long as BBC Worldwide pays no less than what the BBC Commercial Agency, which is at arm's length, judges to be a particular property's value.[4] Furthermore, while BBC Canada serves a similar purpose to the BBC America channel available in the United States, there are also significant differences between the programming rights owned by the two channels.

This means that much of the BBC's output (and, for that matter, BBC America's original programming) airs on other Canadian channels which have either co-produced the programs or simply bid more for the Canadian broadcast rights. Conversely, many of the British series that do air on the channel are not sourced from the BBC, with some having originally been produced by or aired on other British channels, such as the privately owned ITV or the independent public-service broadcaster Channel 4.

Despite its British focus, BBC Canada is licensed as a Canadian channel and is not exempt from the CRTC's broadcasting regulations that require it to carry a quota of Canadian content. This means that in addition to British programs, it also broadcasts a number of Canadian series, which according to the channel's licence are required to "explore or [be] informed by Canada’s relationship to the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth".[1] Canadian programs currently airing on the channel include repeats of Disaster DIY and Holmes Inspection. In the early 2010s, the channel began airing American series featuring British personalities, such as the American version of the Gordon Ramsay program Kitchen Nightmares (it has also in the past carried the British parent series Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares), and repeat airings of the American dramas House and Elementary (each of which has a British actor in the lead role).

Many of the channel's programs, whether British, American or Canadian, are shared with other Shaw Media channels such as the Global Television Network, Showcase, HGTV and Food Network.

BBC Canada does not ordinarily carry BBC News programming, as the BBC World News channel is also widely available in Canada, and BBC News also has a long-standing content-sharing agreement with the CBC. On the rare occasions that BBC Canada does carry news coverage, coverage may be produced by Shaw-owned Global News instead of the BBC, such as with the wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton.[5]

Related properties[edit]

Apart from the television channel, BBC Worldwide directly operates a BBC Canada Shop website which sells merchandise related to British television series such as Top Gear, Little Britain and Doctor Who.

See also[edit]

References[edit]

External links[edit]