Castel di Sangro
|Castel di Sangro|
|Comune di Castel di Sangro|
Valley of Castel di Sangro
|Frazioni||Roccacinquemiglia, Località Pontone, Località Sant'Angelo|
|• Mayor||Umberto Murolo|
|• Total||83.98 km2 (32.42 sq mi)|
|Elevation||805 m (2,641 ft)|
|• Density||73/km2 (190/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||San Rufo|
|Saint day||27 August|
- Basilica di S. Maria Assunta
- Castel di Sangro Town Museum
The town gained some popularity in the mid-1990s thanks to the exploits of local football club Castel di Sangro Calcio In 1996, Castel di Sangro was visited by American author Joe McGinniss who wrote The Miracle of Castel di Sangro, a book about the team that made it up through 5 leagues to get to Serie B, the second-highest league in Italian football. The club now play at Abruzzo's Promozione level, five levels below Serie B.
Castel di Sangro is divided into six districts:
Castel di Sangro has for years been a transit point for many people, because of its location making it the gateway into Abruzzo.
The main roads are:
- The Sangro Valley road, a highway connecting Castel di Sangro with the Val di Sangro, and then with the Adriatic Sea. The same road continues for a long stretch southward and is used by thousands of tourists who come from areas of Campania and other regions of southern Italy.
- The SS 17, a fast road connecting L'Aquila to Foggia. This road is very busy, with both local and through traffic. Its true capacity is often exceeded and it has seen a large number of accidents, some fatal. It is, however, generally well-managed, remaining open throughout the winter, despite the high altitude of the route.
- The Isernia - Castel di Sango highway. Only partly completed, this will halve the time taken to travel from the Alto Molise to the Alto Sangro.
Notes and references
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)|
- Lewis, Charlton T. "Aufĭdēna". A Latin Dictionary. Oxford: Clarendon Press. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- Official website (Italian) (English)
- Castel di Sangro 1 Scout Group official website
- The news and tourist site, EcoDelSangro.it